July 2, 2008

A Sensitive Soul

Life is getting funnier and funnier now that Jane is gaining the ability to tell me what's going on in her brain.  For example  today she was watching "Signing Time" (yet again--I was begging her to play with me but she is obsessed) and in the show she was watching there is a segment about feelings.  One part shows a grumpy duck waddling around complaining about how all of his friends forgot his birthday.  Then he goes into the pond and all of his friends pop out to surprise him.  Well, I was in the other room and heard Jane start bawling.  I ran in thinking she was hurt but when I got in she was crying, "Ducky, Ducky."  Sometimes she cries if a segment is over that she would like to see again so I rewound the show and let her watch it again, but she started BAWLING.  She was saying "Ducky mad, Ducky sad" repeatedly.  I tried to show her the part where his friends make him happy but she didn't care.  She ran away from me and went to get her own ducky.  She kept crying on and off when she would look at ducky and say "sad."  I kept telling her that ducky was happy.  Eventually she believed me and has been reassuring herself over and over again, "Ducky happy."
(I told this whole story to Matt and when I got to the part about the duck being made and going into the water she started bawling again!)  

On another note, I think Jane may have dreamed about her trip to the zoo which I found adorable.  When we went to the zoo we saw a big elephant getting hosed down.  We talked about how the elephant was taking a shower and she LOVED it.  We watched for awhile and then walked a little ways to see the rhinos.  She said, "Rhino shower" but I had to explain that only the elephants were getting a shower that day.  That was the end of it until about 5 days after we had gone to the zoo I went to get her from her nap.  As soon as I walked in the door she started telling me something very excitedly.  "(mumble, mumble, nonsense) shower!"  I asked her to repeat it.  She said it again.  I said, "No one is taking a shower." and she said, "Elephant, Rhino shower!" and was all too excited about it.  Do you think she dreamt about it?

1 comment:

Clair said...

That's sad that she was so sad about Ducky. Shows empathy! I wish we could be together on the 4th. Won't be complete without you. Have a good one though!