Here's the info Matt got from the doctor. Warning: Boring. The doctor is optimistic that the surgery went really well. He said that he scraped away a lot of infection from the underside of my eardrum and (presumably) grafted a new layer of skin onto it. He also cleaned out a bunch of junk from my eustachian tube which may have started this problem in the first place. He didn't feel he needed to place a permanent tube in my ear as he thinks the eustachian tube should start functioning properly now.
After waking up/realizing I was awake I started to feel A LOT of pain in my ear. I told the nurses and she gave me some demerol into my IV. After a little bit I started complaining about the pain again so she put some morphine into my IV. I didn't want to keep complaining because, after all, that seemed like a lot of medicine, but it was hurting me so bad that she gave me some percocet. And then I was still complaining so she gave me another percocet tablet! Looking back I'm not sure the loopy, drugged-up one should be in charge of how much medicine they're getting. I was so drugged! I had to go to the bathroom at one point and was so dizzy trying to get there. Then, back in the bed, I got a major case of the giggles. There was a man next to me behind the curtain trying to come out of his anesthesia and he kept mumbling what sounded like "Where's Ellen?" in a really loud and basey voice. Then one time he said "Oh, man." Everytime I heard him I started laughing uncontrollably. Matt was laughing too which made it worse. I was trying to eat some crackers at the time and my mouth was so dry. So then I started saying "These are so dry!" "I can't even eat this." And I thought that was hilarious to say so I was cracking up laughing, all the while, spraying the dry cracker out of my mouth with each laugh. The nurse came to check on me and I said, "I think I'm ready to go. I've got the giggles." So she went over the discharge papers with me and I tried VERY hard not to laugh each time I heard that guy mumbling.
So Matt and I left the surgical center with me in a complete head bandage. (see pictures). I remembered there was a nurse telling everyone that 7-11 was giving away free Slurpees that day so I had Matt stop at one. We got our free slurpee's and headed to Sharon's house to pick up Jane. Here I am, doped up, crashed out on her couch with my ear bandaged, iodine all over my face, and red slurpee stains on my lips and teeth. (For the record, I can't believe Matt talked me into posting this most-embarrassing picture. He had to beg me for awhile so I hope you enjoy it).

Jane really didn't seem to notice anything was wrong with me, but she did like my new "bracelet."


Back at home Jane was a pretty good nurse.


I was under the impression that this was going to be a pretty easy surgery. I even asked if I could go running the next day. The nurse seemed a little confused and said, "Well, I don't think so. You better wait until you can talk to your doctor." I only threw up once, so that wasn't too bad. The rest of Friday consisted of sleeping and waking up for 20 minute increments. Each time I would wake up I thought I was totally cured and "over it." But 20 minutes later I was crashing on the sofa again. When I woke up at 10pm I decided it was time to have some cake that my dear friends Candis and Christina so thoughtfully brought over. It was from Nothing Bundt Cakes.

It was AMAZING! Thanks, girls. That was seriously so awesome. I felt so cared for. Saltines and cake have been the perfect post-op food.
Then, this morning I got to unveil my ear. To my surprise the doctor ended up having to cut my ear open from the back. He had originally planned on being able to perform the surgery through the ear canal but I guess there was more junk to do than he had bargained for. Ewww.

I'm feeling better today although I'm still taking percocet regularly. I am just hoping for four things. 1. That the surgery removed all of the infection and repaired the hole in the ear drum. 2. That my eustachian tube will function properly from now on. 3. That my hearing will be almost completely restored. and most importantly: 4. I hope that my ears will one day look symmetrical again! AAHH!
11 comments:
I'm so glad you survived too! I love your narrative of everything that went on! I remember the first time I got put on general anesthetic. It was for my wisdom teeth. Afterward I was laughing about the fire sprinkler on the ceiling, and then I started crying...and then I told my mom I thought it was beautiful. Fun stuff!
Anyway, yeah how bout you take it easy for a while?!
I laughed so hard at that last picture. You are hilarious. I'm so glad it went well. And I hope it heals completely and you have no more hearing issues. Quite the ordeal!
You crack me up! I am so glad that all went well and hope that it continues to get better.
Oh! I remember that big head wrap things SO WELL, also the nice scar on the back on my ear. My ear stood WAY far out. For MONTHS it stuck out SIGNIFICANTLY compared to the other one. Congrats on getting it done & doing so well!
I'm very glad you pulled through. Don't you love it when the doctors casually mention that one of the possible side effects of anesthesia is death? You probably scared Matt with your message. Hopefully he didn't get it till you were in the clear.
Seriously, hope you heal quickly and well! I had Dave read your post as I thought it was right up his alley. He said that you had a pretty intense surgery. I asked him if why your ears were out of alignment and he said it was swelling. Hopefully you'll confidently be wearing ponytails soon!
They gave me a shot of some sort of narcotic to relax me when I was 15 and for some reason the only thing I told Dad as they wheeled me into the operating room was "tell Marcie I love her." True story.
Oh man. That was so funny to see your two ears together. I can imagine all the great nicknames Matt will come up for you if your ears stay that way! Are you up for getting together this week or are you going to need more recovery time? Holy cow you had surgery! To me that seems a little more tramatic than labor. Perhaps I should come to you rather than the other way around. Why am I writing this all in the comment section of your blog instead of an email to you???
Your last picture cracked me up!! I'm sure it's just swelling...if not, just make sure people can't see you straight on when you talk to them!! J/K! No seriously, WHAT were you doing at church today?? You over achiever you!
I can't believe you made it to church today! I hope you're feeling back to 100% soon. The last picture is a riot, but I'm sure it's swelling! And I've never had the anesthesia experience, but Pat has, and I'm always the one laughing while he's coming out of it. I hope everything was successful and you're hearing is back before you know it!
Ella! I am still laughing my head off...I have read this post like 3 times. You did great though, and I am sure everything will heal just fine :) Surgery and anesthesia are never really good things, but having things get better is worth it. I did go running...I couldn't let you down! I will keep it up this week too. Although I must confess, the pace was a little bit slower :) But I feel great. Hopefully you can enjoy your 'recovery' time (as in milk it for all it's worth!)
Glad you are on your way to recovery! I love Nothing Bundt cakes. MMM... Take it easy and get lots of rest!
Post a Comment