October 5, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JANE!

That's it. It's over. I no longer have a one-year-old. I can't believe it. I've had to call her "my little two-year-old" all day just to try to help the idea sink in. I tried a couple times to teach her to say "two" and hold up two fingers when someone asked her, "How old are you?" So today when I asked her how old she was she held up two fingers and said, "V." (Two fingers is the sign for the letter V).

The day started off a little rocky for our little gal. Matt and I thought it would be a great idea for both of us to go in together to get her out of bed. We walked in, flipped on the lights, and started singing "Happy Birthday." But Jane cried and said she wanted a band-aid on her eye. For breakfast she requested toast. We thought it would be a great idea to put 2 candles on her toast and sing "Happy Birthday." But Jane cried.



Resigned to her fate:


Things started to pick up when we gave her a present we saved for her actual birthday. It's the Lucky Ducks game. (from a garage sale if you are wondering where all the duck eyes went). She loved it, of course. But she didn't like having to take the ducks off of their course so we couldn't actually play the game.




And her sandwich for lunch went over much better sans candles.




Dear Jane,
Happy Birthday! I can't believe you are two years old! It's unbelievable how quickly the time has passed, yet it's hard for me to imagine that you were ever not a part of my life. Even though you are becoming two in all the ways that "two-year-old" implies and sometimes make me want to run into my bedroom and scream into my pillow out of frustration (like a two-year-old would do) I can't imagine a sweeter joy than the joy you bring into my life. I love you more than I ever imagined I would. I am so grateful that God gave you to us. You are among my most precious gifts.
Love,
Mommy

5 comments:

bakerfam said...

Such a sweet letter, I love it. It always seems like the days that you have big plans and a perfect idea of how they will go turn out rocky. Oh well, they make for funnier pictures to show later!

Megan said...

So cute! What a sweet letter. I love the pictures, and it was so fun to come to the party! Happy Birthday Jane!

Laura Read said...

Happy Birthday Jane! Good luck Ella. I'm sure Heavenly Father gives us two years of relative peace first with our kids to make sure we will still love them through until they turn three, or maybe four. When do the tantrums stop? But it's true, such joy at times! You are a good mommy, Ella.

Clair said...

I think Jane wanted breakfast in bed. Please get a sharpie and draw some eyes on the ducks! Ha.

The Griner Family: said...

Happy Birthday Jane!!!! We really miss you guys and we can not believe time has passed so quickly since jane was crawling!!! You/Matt are such good parents!!