August 5, 2008

One Month Older

Jane turned 22 months today. I get a knot in my stomach thinking about her turning 2. Before I know it she'll be 35. Here are some highlights from the last month:
*Whenever we undress Jane and try to pull a shirt off over her head it will sometimes get stuck for a second. She loves that. She'll say, "hat! mirror!" and run to the bathroom mirror.
*For about 2 weeks Jane kept talking about melon bicycles. I had no idea what she was talking about. FINALLY, I realized she was saying melon popsicles! I had forgotten about some watermelon popsicles we had made that were in the freezer.
*One day I asked Jane if she wanted a banana, and she said, "Yeah, I do."
*Everything is now somebody's. She labels everything she sees as "mommy's bowl" "daddy's belt" "jane's blocks" etc. The other day we were sitting at Matt's computer and I was asking her if she knew what some different things were called. I was picking up some random things at the desk like a cd and she said, "Daddy's." I picked up a marker and she said, "Daddy's." Then I picked up a remote and she said, "Mommy's." She is so right.
*Jane has started saying "Eww. Gross" And I think it is so funny.
*Jane has made up some names for the different types of holds we hold her in. One time when we were walking and Matt had her on his shoulders she kept saying she wanted down. We told her she couldn't get down because we were in a hurry (our car had broken down and we were walking home). She was getting so frustrated and finally communicated "shirt!" meaning she wanted to be held regular style on daddy's shirt. She's also very into requesting to be held like a baby. And I love holding her like a baby.
*After learning that watermelon's have seeds Jane has noticed seeds everywhere and been reluctant to eat them. Every spice or discoloration is cause for a discussion. I have convinced her that strawberries and kiwis don't have seeds, they have ovals.
*One day I announced that it was time to take a bath. Jane kept saying "No bath, no bath!" I was busy finishing up something and I saw her sneak away from me to shut the bathroom door. It's so funny the ways that kids think they can outsmart adults.
*Jane has become a wee bit "OCD." She freaks out when her palms are sweaty. She will come to me a million times saying, “wet.” I would try to wipe them off but she’d be back in two seconds crying again. So now I give her her own paper towel and she rubs them incessantly. Thankfully she only has sweaty palm days every now and then.

7 comments:

Kate said...

I love when you post Jane's quirks. She is such a cute little gifted child. I am so proud to be her godmother. :)

Megan said...

She's so cute! I love hearing about all the things she does. The freaking out about the hand-sweating reminds me of Monk. Have you ever watched that? It's hilarious!

Clair said...

cool stuff-
so Jane calls popsicles a bike- did I tell you that Faith used to call her tricycle a popsicle bike?

Unknown said...

Wow, A lot of that stuff sounds extremely similar to what Zoe does.

Everything belongs to somebody ("Daddy's shoes", "Mommy's water"...) and she is "OCD" about certain things like washing her hands ("wash a hands, wash a hands!").

Bonnie said...

"One month older and wiser too..." Amazing how fast they learn at this stage.

Christina said...

Her sweaty palms are cracking me up! I just love watching her grow- you are such a fantastic mom, Ella.

The Griner Family: said...

Fun! Well, it will be really fun for all of the kids to be together over New Years!