August 7, 2008

For recipe-hoarders like me

I just have to share this idea because I absolutely love my new recipe set up. I finally came up with something that works for me. First, you must know that I have a gazillion recipes. And the pile is always growing. I am subscribed to at least 3 cooking magazines at any one time. And I'm always printing recipes off of the internet (and then re-printing them when I can't find the one I already printed). I also struggle with remembering which recipes I've tried and which recipes I loved. So I finally said enough is enough and I got to work. It was a big project but is really a time-saver when it comes to planning meals.
The idea is to have two "cookbooks." One full of recipes to try and one full of recipes you've tried and love.



Here's how:

Supplies:
-2 Big 3-Ring Binders (for me they are gigantic binders)
-Lots and lots of plastic page protectors
-sticky tabs that will adhere to paper on one side and stick out like a tab you can write on (see picture)

1. Gather all of your recipes, those you love and like, and those you want to try. Rip out all the dog-eared pages from your cooking magazines. And if you are really nuts like me, make copies of all your recipes from your cookbooks.

2. Separate all your recipes into those you enjoy and want to make again, and those you want to try. And throw away all the recipes you've tried but weren't up to par.

3. Start separating each of your now 2 piles into categories. Most of them will fit naturally into category like, cookies. Others like Pork Tacos will have you thinking, should I put this is Mexican or Pork? But take your time. The categories are VERY IMPORTANT. Why? Because that is what is going to help you with your menu planning. So in making the categories remember to think about how your plan your meals. Do you focus on a different protein at every meal (chicken, pork, fish) or do you do it by cuisine (italian, mexican, american) or just by type (soup, salad, pizza, pasta). I think the more categories the better. And don't stop at just "side dishes." It will be so much easier when you are planning out your meals when you can think "I'm making enchiladas, what goes with that?" Then you can turn to your "Mexican Side Dishes" tab and find something quickly. Other categories I have are "Holidays" and "Party Foods." You can do "Breakfast Foods" etc. You get the idea.

4. Once your categories are set all that is left is putting the book together in the order you want. Write on the tabs according to your categories. Stick them in the appropriate place, fill in the pages, and repeat.

5. Update the book often: After using a recipe from my "must try" book it either gets the promotion to the "tried and true" book or it goes in the garbage. And when I find new recipes I want to try I put them into my "must try" book.

Pros of this Recipe Book:
*Instead of sitting down with tons of recipe books and never finding the recipe I'm looking for I have all of my recipes in one (well, two) spots.
*The plastic page protectors wipe off really easily when what you're making ends up on your book.
*Meal planning is quick.
*You easily weed through all of your recipes to end up with one book that is completely awesome.

7 comments:

LJ, DC and ML said...

MMMM Ella, you're a genius and I'm pretty sure I need a copy of your entire binder. Pretty please? hehe

Molly said...

I actually started doing this with workouts from exercise magazines. After I look at the magazine, I tear out the workout, put it in my binder, and throw the magazine in the recycle bin. I should definitely do this with recipes.

k8esk8e said...

That sounds fabulous! I'm going to have to start doing that. No recipes yet, but I'll start making dinners regularly soon so that sounds like it will really help. Its so nice when you find something that works. :)

Christina said...

I really should hop on this train so I can get rid of some of the cookbooks filling my cabinets!

The Tieman Family said...

Hey guys, glad you responded. Shoot me an email at jt_goldtip@yahoo.com so we can exchange phone numbers and set something up. Can't wait to see you guys.

Bonnie said...

GREAT IDEA, Ella! I have a "Recipe Cabinet." It is a disaster!! Whenever I try to find a recipe I haven't used for a while, it takes me a good half hour to dig through the piles to find it! RRRR! I need to get on your bandwagon!

Anonymous said...

This is a fabulous idea. I have a stack of cooking magazines that I keep intending to organize. Now I know what to do! Thanks!