Jane and I are off to North Carolina! I purchased tickets to visit my childhood friend/person I tell the most inconsequential things to back in March when we got our tax refund. I knew if I didn't just purchase them right away on a whim that I would never bring myself to pay for them. And the broken down car out in front of our house proves me right. We SO could have used that money for that. But nonetheless I think I deserve a good trip. And best of all I purchased my tickets so far in advance that I am exempt from the luggage fees saving me a whopping 90 dollars! Now if only I can survive the two 3-hour long flights with the 2-hour lay over in between I should be set. After talking to some moms and relying on some previous experience I have come up with 5 rules of airplane travel. Rule #1: Dress your child up as cute as possible and NEVER let any snot or drool be showing. People will be so much nicer to you. Rule #2: Avoid tantrums at all cost by giving in to the most ridiculous of demands. Do not require that your child do anything that may upset her in the least. Rule #3: Spend the entire day speaking to your child in your highest sing-songy voice. (Imagine Cinderella at Disneyland). Rule #4: Load your diaper bag with the coolest yet quiet toys and crafts you can find. Purchase all the cool food you normally wouldn't dream of feeding your own child. Rule #5: Spend the next month trying to get your child to want avocado over jelly beans again and un-doing all of the damage caused by rule #2.
Here are some pics of Jane in just what happens to be her airplane dress. I hope it works...
I love the airplane dress! AND the tips on traveling with children. We haven't had to do that yet, but I'm glad to have some direction beforehand. Oh and...all the stuff you wouldn't normally feed your child...it's probably the stuff that I DO normally feed my child!!:) Seeing as how I'm a chocoholic and all!!
Good luck on the plane. Your rules are good ones. Suckers, indulgences, especially ones that help her ears to pop. And good for you for taking the trip.
My worst traveling moment: when we were boarding the plane to Kentucky with little Noah. As we walked down the aisle to the back.of the plane, people gave us a variety of looks, some of them were "ohhh he's so cute" and some of them were "ohhh you poor poor people" but the worst came when we found our seats in the back, an old man sitting across the aisle from us turned to his old wife and said: "oh no. I thought this was going to be a relaxing flight" and shot us a dirty look. People can be jerks. But I like to think the majority are not jerks. Like in President Kimball's nice airport story when he helped the overwhelmed mother. Good luck!
Gosh, Ella. You take amazing pictures. Do you have a digital SLR? I need lessons on how to use the aperature settings. I always go with auto and of course it doesn't look great and I have too much background.
Good luck on your flight. It is tricky traveling with little ones, isn't it? A new box of crayons and lots of snacks (yes, the "fun" ones) helped me.
6 comments:
I love the airplane dress! AND the tips on traveling with children. We haven't had to do that yet, but I'm glad to have some direction beforehand. Oh and...all the stuff you wouldn't normally feed your child...it's probably the stuff that I DO normally feed my child!!:) Seeing as how I'm a chocoholic and all!!
I love your tips! I hope they worked for you!
Good luck on the plane. Your rules are good ones. Suckers, indulgences, especially ones that help her ears to pop. And good for you for taking the trip.
My worst traveling moment: when we were boarding the plane to Kentucky with little Noah. As we walked down the aisle to the back.of the plane, people gave us a variety of looks, some of them were "ohhh he's so cute" and some of them were "ohhh you poor poor people" but the worst came when we found our seats in the back, an old man sitting across the aisle from us turned to his old wife and said: "oh no. I thought this was going to be a relaxing flight" and shot us a dirty look. People can be jerks. But I like to think the majority are not jerks. Like in President Kimball's nice airport story when he helped the overwhelmed mother. Good luck!
Gosh, Ella. You take amazing pictures. Do you have a digital SLR? I need lessons on how to use the aperature settings. I always go with auto and of course it doesn't look great and I have too much background.
Good luck on your flight. It is tricky traveling with little ones, isn't it? A new box of crayons and lots of snacks (yes, the "fun" ones) helped me.
I'm just leaving a comment for Matt to up his comment count for the awesome pictures, I'm so jealous.
Post a Comment