March 11, 2008
Jebby Marathon 2008
What is the Jebby Marathon, you ask? Well, it is the marathon that Matt is begging me to run. (Jebby is a pet name I use for Matt, a derivative of Jespersen). You see, my body is breaking down. Before deciding to run a marathon I always said (partly to justify not wanting to run one) I wasn't sure if the health benefits of running a marathon outweighed the health risks (injury). I don't actually believe that is true for the vast majority of runners but I'm beginning to wonder if it's true for me. For the past 3 weeks I have had a nagging pain in my left hip. It started out that I would feel it when I ran but evolved into a pain that was there all throughout the day. Before that it was left knee pain that stuck around for awhile but now comes and goes. I have been talking to Matt's sister, a physical therapist, about the hip pain, all the while in my mind I'm thinking, "Should I tell her that both knees hurt at times, or how about that I'm getting a sharp pain in my right hip when I bend down, or what about the pain in the inside of my left ankle?" What is happening to me? I have followed all of the recommendations for adding mileage. I have increased it very gradually from week to week, I've taken rest weeks, I take my long runs easy, do recovery runs and I do strength training to strengthen the muscles that running might neglect. So, the SLC marathon is in 6 weeks. I just hope I can make it. I hate the idea that I might be doing damage to my body. I want to be getting stronger and fitter not broken. Do I plug along through the pain and risk getting worse and not being able to run the marathon or do I take a week off and hope it will get better and hope that I won't be behind on my training schedule? What's a girl to do? Well, if any of you know Matt, you know he worries about things like his hearing going bad, his teeth rotting out, his foot arches causing him problems down the road. So, you can imagine how he feels when he hears me complain of my aches and pains. He is begging me to stop, to stay healthy so that running can be something I can enjoy for a very long time. I see his point, but if you've run 20 miles you've got to do the full 26.2. You can't just stop. So, his latest solution, that had me cracking up, was that I need to run the Jebby Marathon '08 as soon as possible and forget training for 6 more weeks. He says he will plan out a 26.2 mile route, drive along the route while I run to hand me water and cheer me on, and be there at the finish line. He even claims he can come up with a solution for port-a-potties. I'm trying to explain to him that running an actual race would be so much different: the adrenaline, the excitement, the fellow runners, the cheering, the event, the memorable finish line. It's not like I could say, if ever in a conversation with fellow runners, "Oh, I've run a marathon." "Oh really, which one?" "Well, actually I just made it up myself." Any words of advice out there?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
OH Ella! I'm sorry to hear of your aches and pains. I hope you get good advice and can be at peace when you make a decision. I think the Jebby Marathon sounds awesome. Matt is so sweet- have always liked him- and like hearing how he takes such good care of you. Side notes- That's fun that Jane likes Elmo-- he's been a big hit over the years here. And my 3 "not-so-bad" spots- I didn't think they were so great- the only useful one really is the basket idea- I thought they were boring myself but I'm glad you thought they were good.
Of course I have advice for you! Take it from someone who knows. Don't push through the pain. I had to drop out of a marathon 2 weeks before it, because I just kept running through my knee pain until I could barely walk. If I had taken a couple weeks off, it probably would have been fine, but I just kept going. In the end I had to take 2 months off of running completely. It was horrible. It's smart to listen to your body.
But, that said, it's so early that I don't think you have to skip the marathon. I'm not sure what training schedule you're on, but I have never seen a basic marathon training schedule that has you do your 20-miler 6 weeks in advance of the marathon. 20 is normally the most we run before a marathon--and that's usually only 2-3 weeks before the marathon. Luckily, I think you have time to cut back a little, let yourself heal, and still do fine in the marathon.
What does your training schedule look like from here on out? How many miles have you been running during the week? Maybe I can help you tweak it.
Also, my problem was not enough stretching and not enough strength training. You seem to be doing well with the strenth training, but are you stretching enough? My knee problems were caused by tight quad muscles. Stretch your quads, hamstrings, IT band, and butt a lot. I just read in Runners World that we should be stretching at least 15 minutes every day. It said that if you normally run 5 miles a day, cut back to 4 miles and use that extra 10 minutes to stretch. The benefits of stretching will outweigh the mileage.
Ok, so send me an email or just post another comment. I'm totally interested.
Also, as nice as that is of Matt to drive along side you, it's true--it just won't compare to a marathon. You'll see.
I just have to say it is so awesome to be offered your own private marathon. Way to go Matt for being such am amazing husband!
Do a triathlon. It's not as much running and swimming and cycling are easier on your body. Plus, triathletes are way hard core!
Take a week off at least from running, but keep your cardio up by riding a bike.
You think you're in pain now, wait until the day after the race. :)
Screw the real marathon. jebby...Jebby...JEBBY...JEBBYYYY!!!
I agree with Kater. It would definitely be cool to run a marathon (actually it would be cool if I could run for even 3 miles...) but I don't think it's worth it if you're going to have problems with your body afterward. Matt's a sweetie! Tell us when and where and we'll be there to cheer you on. I'll even slap on a number and run with you for eighth of a mile stretches with half hour breaks in between! How's that??
Post a Comment