January 31, 2016

January-Hank's birthday!

All weeks are busy so I guess I should stop starting each post with that description. :) But we did celebrate Hank's fourth birthday this week so that was fun.  We had a get together at Sharon's on Sunday and the boys wore Star Wars costumes and I made Star Wars cupcakes.




On his real birthday, Tuesday, he opened up some presents in the morning and got to be the special Din-o-mite kid at his preschool.  I went and told the class about Hank, and did a craft (masks and crowns) with the kids.  He was so cute.  He was really into Star Wars this year and also got a camo gun and a Purloin stuffed pokemon.  



 I didn't get to see the kids this weekend until Saturday night but Jane had a really fun weekend.  She went to a friend's birthday party with a spa theme on Friday night.  She got a foot massage and a make-over.  Then she got to go with Nate and Paris to the movies on Saturday.  They came over for pizza after.  Matt texted to let me know on Friday that he took Jane to get the present, used a 40% off coupon. wrapped the gift, and got her to the party.  He is truly amazing.

Matt told Jack recently about how he broke his tooth when he was little.  He pointed out which tooth was fake and how it looks real.  Tonight when I saw Jack and his friend jumping around on my bed I told them how I had broken my leg when I was little.  Jack paused, looked briefly down at my leg, and said to his friend, "it's fake but it looks real."  So hilarious.  I did explain to him how broken bones get fixed and how they are, indeed, still real.

Hank and Jack were playing Star Wars upstairs and Matt started going up the stairs with Pete.  Matt overheard Hank say, "Let me go see who it is."  He peeked down the stairs and announced to Jack, "It's just a baby and a daddy."

Jack pulled out his second baby tooth this week.  With both bottom teeth his permanent tooth had come in behind his baby teeth before his baby teeth came out.  I happened to be laying next to him before bed when I noticed he was really pulling it hard.  Then his hand pulled away and his eyes got big and I said, "Did you get it?"  We were both pretty excited.  

Hank talks so deliberately.  Matt and I wonder if it is because he knows he needs to talk clearly for people to understand.  His pronunciation might be getting a little better.  Anyway, I do want his friends to be able to understand him but I sure will miss some of his phrases.  Like, fruit snacks, we now all call "noot nas."  

Pete and I made a trip to the ER a couple weeks ago.  He had been crying and grabbing the front of his diaper with a panicked look while saying "wee-wee" for about a week.  We hoped it was nothing serious and hoped it would go away.  But then when I came home one evening Matt told me that Pete had on the same diaper as when he woke up and hadn't peed all day.  He had also been extremely irritable for the past few days.
We started to worry that he had had a urinary tract infection all along and had learned that if the bladder becomes too distended that it can actually keep the pee from coming out.  So I took him to urgent care, who sent me to the ER.  They got us right in and poor Pete got a catheter but hardly any pee came out.  Then the nurse told me she thinks he may have peed right before the catheter because his diaper didn't seem empty anymore.  Luckily there was still enough to test but it all came back clear.  We were discharged and Matt and I finally realized that Pete hadn't gone poo in way too long.  I guess that is a hazard of co-parenting--each parent assumes the child is pooping for the other. :)  So we started Pete on Miralax and mineral oil and the next day he woke up from his nap surrounded with a major, major blowout and things have been going much better ever since.


No comments: