But this post is actually about Jane. How many of you knew that? It is the fifth after all. How many? I'm guessing just one: my dad. Thanks dad, you've always been my biggest fan.

Well, I am ashamed to say I did not write down a SINGLE THING that Jane said this month. I have had other things on my mind if you will. Or perhaps I was laying down and couldn't muster the energy to go get a pen and paper. Luckily Matt pulled through and did some jotting of his own. Here's what we came up with:
After coloring at her art table Matt asked Jane if she needed to wash her hands. She said, "My hands are not markery."
On my birthday Jane was having her own sort of issues. Matt said to her, "You need to be nice. It's mommy's birthday." She said, "But I am nice. I'm pretending to be mean."
Jane's favorite Christmas song this year was "The Holly and the Ivy" by Bing Crosby. Actually, it's a medley. It starts with What Child is This, which she admits is pretty, but she LOVES when it switches to The Holly and the Ivy, which she calls "her song." Matt would play the song and then explain, "This will become your song." Later while listening to another Christmas song Jane said, "This is a pretty song too. All pretty songs become my song."

Now when we help Jane out with wiping she likes to lecture us. One day she was especially stern with Matt: "Don't waste toilet paper. Only use one or you will waste it. Don't waste toilet paper! You hear me? Don't waste toilet paper." But neither Matt nor I can ever remember telling her not to waste toilet paper. Grandma? Grandpa? Was this your doing in Missouri?

Poor, emotional Jane. She has given us some insight into her world. Matt was trying to calm her down once when she was crying and she explained, "Kids have to cry a lot." Another time she was freaking out that her magnetic dressing doll's hat was not perfectly placed. Matt asked her what was wrong and she said, "Kids have to be frustrated."
Jane bumped her elbow. Matt asked, "Is that your funny bone?" While crying she said, "No it's my hurt bone?"
Jane likes to dote on Jack. We thought it was cute when she said in her high, nurturing voice, "I love my cute little brother."
Matt asked her, "Jane, do you like Jack or John more?" She surprised us with, "I like Hansen. His name is also Hansen."
In an odd non sequitur, Matt had the following conversation with Jane:
Jane: I'm just having a great time.
Matt: Oh, good.
Jane: But sometimes people have tummies in their belly.
Jane started primary at church this week. I was so proud of her that she stayed the whole time! Although I'm really not sure what she was taught in there! Sunday while playing with two chopsticks and banging them together she said, "Caught! Caught! Caught the Lord Jesus!"

When Jane put these glasses on at Candis' house she immediately took on a new persona. She said, "I'm a mean girl" and acted mean with her eyebrows furrowed until Candis finally had to tell her "mean girl" was becoming too real!
Lately Jane demands her privacy. If we try to change her diaper in the morning, she has to do it in the bathroom--"I need my privacy." In the family restroom at church, she ordered Matt to leave, so he wouldn't see her "bum bum." He assured her he's seen it tons of times already. Still she insisted, "I need my privacy." But here's the catch: she'll call for us to come into the bathroom and help her, and when we open the door she'll be standing there shaking her "bum bum," grinning huge, and singing, "Naked! Naked!"
Jane has started telling us she loves us (in the all-too familiar, high, sing-songy, "nurturing" voice already mentioned). But half the time it goes exactly like this. "I LOVE you" (voice + drawn out love). "No, I don't love you. I love you AND Daddy." Another time she explained to Matt as nap time was approaching, "Hey Dad, I love you so much. When you put me to bed I don't love you so much."
Jane saw some of the movie Madagascar in Missouri so she had been singing "I like to move it, move it." A week or so later she was standing in the bathroom shaking her bum and singing, "I know how to not do it." It took me awhile to place the tune and movement but I finally asked her if she meant, "I like to move it, move it." We all laughed but Matt reassured her that we all sing the wrong lyrics every once in awhile.
Wait, I did write one down! When my mom drove us to the airport we ate at Panera. Mom must have had a little food in her teeth because while helping Jane into her car seat Jane shockingly declared, "You have poo poo on your teeth!"
And just yesterday we were making some snowman crafts and I was helping Jane put on the orange triangular noses made out of construction paper. She asked, "The snowman needs a beak?" I really need to make a real snowman with her!!

Well, there you have it! Until next month...
14 comments:
"Caught the Lord Jesus" sounds like a soulful spiritual tune. Jane never disappoints. I LOVE the new blog look- very simple and clean- and the super size photos are always best- especially when they are so darn good!
Thank you for posting all about Jane, I love it! She cracks me up. Skylar and her would be quite the pair. I love the pics, such great shots.
Love the new blog!!! And your photos are always so darling, love them in the bigger size. How do you catch all of those moments with the camera? That was of course directed to Matt.
Love the new post. The pictures are great. We love to hear all about Jane and Jack. What cute grandkids we have. Matt you do a great job with the camera, Ella youd o a great job keeping up on your posts.
I especially love that last photo
I love Jane! I was feeling down but after seeing your blog, I feel all warm and toasty inside. Love, Papa. (This corrects my other post. I should have previewed it first.)
For the record, I just said to Jared yesterday, "today is the 5th. That means we should be getting a Jane post." I always look forward to the 5th and the 12th of every month.
So cute and I love the new blog! Especially the pictures at the top! :)
ok she is seriously a hoot. And i love the new header.
Can you remind us all again what camera you use for all of these photos?
I like the new look; clean and simple. BTW, I check your blog on Fridays, the 5th and the 12th, because I've learned your habits. Nice photos Matt.
She is just great!!! So smart!
Ryan, I'm currently using a Nikon D90. Most of my shots are with the Nikkor 35/1.8. It's my favorite lens. I've shot Nikon for almost a year now. Before that, I had a Pentax K20D and a number of Pentax lenses. I sold my system and switched to Nikon because the inaccurate Pentax autofocus bugged me too much. But I miss my Pentax lenses. I've heard the new Pentax (K7) has a much improved AF. Maybe someday I'll switch back. Their cameras are smaller and their lenses are much smaller--well that's not true, many Nikkor lenses are tiny because they don't even exist. Nikon and Canon are all about the zooms, which I don't much care for. Pentax is the only one still committed to a good selection of great primes under 100mm.
Post a Comment