December 28, 2009

I should have known...


I should've known when Jack was just days old and refused to nurse on anyone's schedule but his own, that I would be in for some epic food battles. But since Jane opened her mouth each time the spoon was presented I actually had no idea that babies could so willfully refuse to eat solid foods. Like, it is NOT getting in his mouth, period. Not all solid foods, of course not. He will eat Cheerios and bananas until the sun comes up. Try feeding him peas, rice cereal, oatmeal, carrots, broccoli, or anything else and you will get a tight-lipped, head-turning, arms-waving baby! And those of you who know me can just imagine how much I want to rip my hair out!!! Not only can I not feed him the healthy foods that I painstakingly cook and puree myself, I have to relinquish control over to a 6 month old! I'm sure my friend Monique has called it when she said Jack is going to be one of those insanely skinny kids who won't eat anything. And at dinner I'll say, "Well, this is what we're having so you can eat this or nothing." And he'll skip merrily away and say, "Okay, nothing."

And now I have years of guilt ahead of me for having a child who won't eat anything healthy. And I'm just positive it must be because I let him taste bananas before I introduced peas...

"But mom, how could someone that looks this innocent be doing all that?"

9 comments:

Clair said...

If YOU can't get a kid off to a great start with nutrition, then that kid is beyond hope and you are not responsible. Jack is probably just teasing you and will be downing avacado and humus very soon.

bakerfam said...

Cute pictures! It's probably better to have a picky kid then one who wants to eat every 25 minutes. I'll probably be finding candy bar wrappers hidden under Anna's bed by the time she's 10. Good luck :) He can't afford anymore reasons to be skinny!

The Griner Family: said...

awe!!

Jenni said...

Sharon used to suck her middle two fingers like that.

Candis Ellis said...

Haha, love it. James and Jack can be in the "Okay, nothing" club. It's a little beyond frustrating.

I just now saw your cute family photo on the side...adorable.

cara said...

Jack might be turning into Max.

Papa Griner said...

Jack is so cute.

Kate said...

I wanted to make my comment under Jake's pictures, because I am always worried that my baby gets the shaft (on the blog and in the real world), and so I didn't want Jack to have fewer comments than Jane :) They are both so stinkin cute. Good posts, they made me laugh a lot. Don't worry about Jack's hatred of food. For what its worth, you are one of my mothering idols. Keep up the good work.

Tammy said...

You know how Moms always say "I hope you get one just like yourself"? Hate to say it but mom probably said that to Matt A LOT. Sorry you have to suffer. I remember making Matt PBJ sandwiches of which I was not allowed to wipe the p-nut butter knife on the other side of the bread or he wouldn't eat it. Good luck. Don't stress. Life is easier that way.