December 4, 2009

Our trip to Missouri

This trip to Missouri has had three phases:

PHASE I: Just me, the kids, and Grandma and Grandpa. Jane has had so much fun with my parents. I am so happy that we were able to stay for so long. To be perfectly honest I did not realize just how awesome my parents were at being grandparents! She has had a blast playing games with them like, "You be the bad people and I'll run and you chase me." I talked her into not playing that one so it's been "You be the big, bad wolf..." They've reenacted the 3 little pigs together, and Papa and Jane have played Goldilocks and the Three Bears. I hope that she remembers this trip for a very long time and all the fun she had with her grandparents.

Also during Phase 1, as Jane played with Mom and Dad, I got some serious crafting done. It has been a very, very long time since I have "created" much of anything. But I read something someone wrote on etsy that said something to the effect of: "We are all born with some level of creativity. You can either starve it and let it die or nurture it and let it into your life." Ok, I can't remember how it ended, but something touchy-feely like that. Anyway, it inspired me to make something. So while in Missouri I made Jane a crayon roll (here) to put in her Christmas stocking. I threw away my first attempt. The second has plenty of imperfections which bug me to no end. But I've talked myself into realizing that no one will be grabbing it from Jane at church to inspect it for flaws. (crayons go into those little pockets).

For Jack's stocking gift I made him a "crinkly taggie" (here). I threw away my first three. Then for good measure I made a thousand more. Unfortunately I don't know a thousand babies being born, but I do know a few.

And then of course I needed to make the stockings that these gifts would be going into. And I made one for me to. (Matt already has a sewn one).

Next up I made some playsilks for Jane. They cost like 50 bucks for 4 or something ridiculous. I thought, "Why not buy silky fabric and make my own?" I realized the answer to that question when I went to hem them. I can't hem silk. Not prettily anyway. But I talked myself into believing that they are just a toy and Jane won't care what they look like.

I also turned this Ikea twin bed duvet into a twin bed comforter. I don't have the guts, patience, time or skill to quilt it (here), or the 150 dollars to pay someone to quilt it so I tied it. It's about 1/60th of the awesomeness, but 100% of the functionality so we're still okay.

For some Thanksgving fun I made this turkey game for the cousins to play. Then we interviewed Jane and the Dickson cousins about what they were thankful for and made these Thankful poems (here).

I have had so much fun creating that I asked my parents for a sewing machine for my birthday. It's very exciting.

PHASE II: Family came into town. The Dickson's came from Kentucky and stayed 4 nights. Jane had fun getting to know her cousins. She really had fun with 1 year old Seth when the older cousins went to a sleepover. I had a good time seeing my sister and her husband. Andy and his family live in Kansas and came down for Thanksgiving. Aubrey also spent the night and was able to be girly with Jane for a night. It was great to see their family and their new little Tate. Nate and Paris flew in from Utah. We see them often there but it was great to have all the siblings together. The only person missing was Matt!! (please forgive my misplaced bang in both pictures).



PHASE III: With Thanksgiving over, the family gone, and a whole week left, Phase III was dedicated to my soul-twin, Monique. We grew up in Missouri together but she lives in North Carolina now. We may or may not have very carefully and strategically planned our trips home together. We spent a couple days together. We attempted to work on our creations together but we mainly just took care of our kids together. Time always goes too fast. I suprised myself when I got choked up at saying goodbye to her. I could go on, but since this post is already enormous I will just have to give my friend of 16 years her own post someday.

So the phases have gone. I'm packing up and we'll leave tomorrow. I have mixed feelings. I'm looking forward to seeing my loml. (pronounced lahmull, meaning love of my life). I'm looking forward to seeing my dear Utah friends and a new little addition to the Felt family. But I'm so nervous about getting back and feeling the stress I put on myself to get everything accomplished each day. I have a hard time relaxing and enjoying myself until everything is done. And since everything never gets done, well, you get the idea. But I have some new ideas and new resolves and I hope I can get back and have some fun with the people I love.

Thanks, Missouri, for the good times. I'm sorry I doubted you.

8 comments:

Laura Read said...

Wow. I'm super impressed with all your craftiness. It's addicting isn't it!

Cathy said...

Now I'm going to have to inspect Jane's crayon roll at church. Flaws or not, it's adorable.

What on earth is a playsilk? Should I be getting one for Cate? I've never heard of such a thing.

I love the IKEA comforter. I need one now.

Since you made the comment about your misplaced bang, I had to click on the picture and see it. I'm more concerned about what is coming out of that baby's mouth (being held by the lady on the right).

I know we're not BFF's or anything but you are more than welcome to use my sewing machine. My mom bought it for me for my birthday many years ago. I have absolutely no idea how to use it. It's like new. Still in the box. In my closet. She uses it when she visits (which is only twice a year). Seriously. You can give it back when I'm good and ready to start getting crafty. Which might be never.

Ella said...

Cathy, I have no idea if you will actually check back here to see this but you are so funny. I didn't even notice the spit up baby in the picture. Thank you SO much for the sewing machine offer, but we've already ordered mine. I think you should learn to sew! It's very addicting. I would love to help you (although that might be like the blind leading the blind)if you do decide to pick it up. Now, PLAYSILKS. I hear they are magical pieces of silk when it comes to imaginative play. Cate might be a tad young, I'm not sure. But you should definitely, definitely get them for Danny. Here's what someone said about boys and playsilks: I have all boys plus nephews and they love love love our playsilks. They are are most used toy. They use them for capes, hats, masks, belts, horse bridles, blankets, slings... So, I can't add my own testimony yet but from what I hear trying to substitute other fabrics, like towels, blankets, etc just doesn't have the same effect. We'll see.

Ashlee said...

Look at all the craftiness you exuded, I'm impressed! Way to go.

Clair said...

Don't you think our trip to the Amish store deserves it own post. Nary a word about selecting thread...tsk, tsk. The crafts are great and I think you are going to rock the crafts with your own machine. Your group photo is one of the more humorous ones. I saw Andy's and I need to check mine out still. Glad you had a good time. Loved seeing you and sorry again for the flu.

Candis Ellis said...

Ohhh I am so impressed!!!! We MUST have a sewing party once a week now. Wouldn't that be fun!? Seriously, that is cool that you enjoy it :) I'm sure you kids will forever benefit from your new found craftiness!!

The Griner Family: said...

Wow! How stinkin' awesome are you! Seriously!!! The ideas are great!! It was good to see you!

Sharon said...

Looks like you had fun! Good for you.