
Why is it so entertaining to listen to toddlers as they try to learn English? Here's some of my favorite things Jane is saying lately.
*For "I fell" she says "I fallded"
*For "Do this" or "I did that" she says, "Say this" and "I said that"
*If she is in trouble and I say "Jane did you.. (color on the table)?" she quickly says, "I nothing!"
*If she wants to do something by herself she says, "Let me my do it!"
*Sometimes when I do something simple like turn a light on Jane says with much enthusiasm, "I so proud of you!"
*While watching the air popper pop out the popcorn Jane exclaimed, "He burping!"
*The sun was in her eyes and she complained, "My eyelids hurtin!"
*Jane likes to eat dried mango. Recently I cut up some fresh mango and gave her a bowl telling her it was "real mango." She tried a couple bites, walked to the pantry and said she wanted "pretend mango."

But sometimes Jane explains herself quite well.
*After putting on some dress-up clothes she walked out to me and Matt and asked, "What'd you think?"
*When Matt sat down to play Jane in Memory he said, "Okay but I'm going to kick your bum bum." Jane responded, "No. No bum bum kick. That not nice"
*Matt asked Jane if she liked the name "Marcee" and she thought for a minute and said, "No, not yet." Me neither, Jane.
*Jane did something semi-dangerous and I explained to her that it frightened me a little. She said, "Oh, I sorry. I not mean to scare you."
*When we tell Jane she is cute she either says, "I not cute, I so pretty" or she'll say "I'm cute AND pretty."
"One morning we were all awake and laying in bed together. Jane said, "Let's have family night. Tell me about Jesus."
*Jane woke up crying and told us about the bad dream she had. A bumblebee got her head and her ear, but then Jane grabbed it. (complete with hand motion) Matt tried explaining that bumblebees aren't scary and told her that they make honey. So now no mention of bumblebees is complete without her adding, "Yeah, they make honey." In another dream she said there was poo poo on the floor getting her.
*One night she was having a hard time falling asleep and kept crying and asking for different stuff. I guess she ran out of things to request because the next time I went in she said, "I need something feel happy."
*Speaking of Jane not wanting to sleep we have completely ruined her. Several weeks ago she started telling us she was scared and wanted the door open. So we did that for awhile and then thought we should teach her to sleep with the door closed since our place is so small and we'll have a baby coming soon. So we got her an extra night light and tried shutting the door for a couple nights. There was a lot of crying. So we read on the internet about fears at night time, why kids request the door being open, etc. and decided it was best to leave it open. She was very grateful. But since then for weeks now she is obsessed with telling us to leave the door open. Like all throughout her bedtime routine: "Pick out a book" "Otay, but leave the door open." "Do you want to say the prayer." "No, leave the door open." "Good night, I love you." "Leave the door open." Or we'll be 30 minutes from bedtime, like at the playground and I'll tell her it's time to go home and take a nap and she'll say, "Leave the door open." Poor scarred little child.

And then there are the times that Jane tells the truth like only a child can.
*Jane likes to try to use floss. She says, "I floss like Daddy." So Matt asked her, "Does Mommy floss?" "Jane said, "Mommy not floss. Only Daddy and Jane floss." Too true.
*And this is one of my worst most eye-opening moments of motherhood. I asked Jane to do something and she yelled at me in response. I said politely, "No, no Jane. We don't yell. Yelling is not nice." Jane said, "Oh, otay. I not yell. Only Mommy yell." I could've cried! I didn't even think I yelled that often! But I obviously need to do better!
9 comments:
as always, Jane delivers. I like the pretend Mangos. I'm reminded of when Olivia would get disappointed if someone told her she was cute or pretty- she wanted to be FUNNY. And just so you won't feel bad-- one morning we had an pre-k acquaintance kid hanging around and apparently I was yelling and he let me know that I was following "the person down there" (pointing to the floor.)
Use the door thing to your advantage. A wise sister, Tammy, once told me that if they talk, tell them you will shut the door. Okay, so it doesn't work perfectly, but it gets them to shut up for five minutes. Because Jane is so well behaved, it actually might get her to be quiet the whole night.
I sure do wish we lived closer. Jane seems to be growing so fast!
Awww she's so cute. It's good thing you dubbed Ella your "name" in college. She might not like having a mom named Marcee. ;)
I LOVE reading these. She is so cute. It's okay, Ella--I hate flossing, too. And I don't do things I hate.
I've only flossed like 2 times since I've had my braces on. (April 9th) And I practically NEVER did it before!!
By the way, I love the poo poo on the floor dream!! :)
What!!! Cara is so dead! Her braces cost a fortune and she will floss.
That is such a good idea to write down funny things kids say. I love your camera by the way, what kind is it?
Post a Comment