April 1, 2011

A good day

Today was a good day. Did you know that I have recognized a direct correlation to how much sleep I get and how nice I am to my children? Basically, the kindest thing I can do for them is to go to bed early. My poor dears.

Anyway, it was sunny outside and my to-do list was short. We went on a one-hour walk. I loved it. We stopped in the middle to enjoy some playground time. I actually interacted with my children instead of calling someone to chat. Jane found that she could do something she didn't think she could do and was very proud. Jack found that he likes to go down slides on his belly, feet first.

Jane played next door while Jack took a nap and I showered, cleaned up the house, and sorted laundry in peace.

When Jack woke up we got in the car to take the parking ticket to the airport. It's a long story but I had the long-term parking ticket that Matt would need to drive our Civic out of the airport parking when he gets in at midnight tonight. Anyway, while driving North I noticed that the entire stretch of I-15 South was bumper to bumper traffic due to a combination of rush hour and construction. My kids were already saying they wanted out of the car and I knew I couldn't sit through that traffic. So we made a detour to the mall because I remembered there was going to be a Welcome the Easter Bunny Party at 4. It was almost 5 so we only caught the tail end of it. We got some coloring sheets to go, entered a drawing, and got balloon animals. We were too late to decorate cookies so I had to get Jane a cookie at Mrs Fields. And we sat by the Easter Bunny of course. Jane was apprehensive because she said she didn't like people who were dressed up. Jack was nervous too, so I had to sit right next to that bunny and put the kids on my lap to smile for a picture I knew I wouldn't buy. I couldn't help but wonder if the Easter Bunny felt as awkward as I did.

After the mall we made it to the airport and traffic was still horrible. I decided we would go to a restaurant, thinking we could use part of a Chili's gift card I've been holding on to. But Jane begged for McDonald's. I picked up some mexican food and took it to McD's. Jane ate a hamburger (ketchup only) in about ten seconds and Jack loved his french fries. I loved that I got them only the things they wanted and it only cost 3.00. They played for a long time. I didn't feel antsy at all and loved watching Jane interact with the bigger kids and loved having Jack run over to me after every turn down the baby slide. I even got a kiss during several of his visits. Then we got ice cream cones. I am trying Jack out on dairy this week and so far so good! He loved his first experience with ice cream. Despite my demonstrations he never got passed pressing his barely-open lips to the ice cream and sucking in a tiny amount.

Even the drive home went well. There was no traffic at 8:40 at night. And my kids played with their balloons.

A lovely day indeed! I need to remember today because lately I haven't been feeling the joys of motherhood as much as I would like.

I am thankful for today!

2 comments:

Paola said...

It's so nice to know I'm not the only one having not so good days as a mommy once in a while. I guess it makes us appreciate the good days more :). You're so great with your kids!

Kate said...

Nice post! That sounds like a perfect day and good thing you wrote it down so you will remember it! You are a great mom.