October 12, 2010

Jane's Birthday Party

****Warning: Half of this post is underlined! I couldn't fix it!

Several months ago Jane's niece asked her what kind of party she wanted to have this year. I held my breathe in anticipation of hearing "princess" or "fairy". I was ecstatic to hear her say, "I want a picture party where everyone comes and draws pictures." Now that is a party theme I can get excited about!

The weather was perfect and we were able to have her first "drop off your kid" friends party outside. I was frantically putting up last minute decor down to the very last second. There were some things I had to forego but the party was bright and colorful and the kids had a lot of fun!
(the food table)
(homemade birthday banner--I love felt!)

(a rainbow of candies and fruits)

(I dyed white grape juice red, yellow, and blue so the guests could order their favorite color and we could mix it up for them.)

(an artists palette cake--not my best work of art, but hey, it was something to put candles on)

(party favors were felt crayon rolls. Each one was made out of 3 shades of blue or pink felt)

(adorable signs made by my friend, Candis)

For the party activities I had 4 art stations. The kids were split into two groups and took turns visiting each station.

This was the paint station. Lots of paints with different brushes. I taped butcher paper to the side of the shed so the kids could do a mural together.

I love their mural!

This station was simply a drawing station with different markers, crayons, colored pencils, and glitter glue.

Another station was decorating your own mini cake. I cut rice krispie treats into squares and frosted them to look like 2-tier mini square cakes.
(Max, Paris and Jane start to work on their cakes).

I can't believe I don't have a picture of all the finished cakes! They were adorable!

This was a collage station. I used contact paper so that the kids could simply stick the items right onto the paper without using glue.

(some of the finished collages)

(just an action shot)

Jack busied himself during the party by grabbing anything within his reach.


(I busied myself at the party with little things here and there.)

This is Jane while we were singing Happy Birthday to her. Have you ever wanted to just eat up a little 4 year old because I have!
(This is Jane when we finished singing. When she felt the pressure of having to blow out the candles in front of everyone she hid under the table.

And finally a picture of Jane opening her presents. Look at the cute girl behind her, SO excited to give her present to Jane!

The best part of the party was that once it started I just got to enjoy it. I loved watching the kids create and chatting with the moms that stayed. It was a great day--great friends, great kids, great weather, and great help from my mom! I don't know how I would have gotten that together, or cleaned up without her help! I just hope Jane picks something just as fun for next year!

8 comments:

Jenni said...

Yay! I've been waiting for this post. I love Jane's face while hiding under the table. I wish I could just hide under the table when the pressure's on.

Kate said...

Love it!! Everything turned out so well from the looks of it. The rainbow of fruit is so pretty! And yeah, that picture of Jane under the table is priceless! I love Jane. Happy Birthday to her.

Ashlee said...

Amazing!! I may have to convince Skylar to have a party like this for her next birthday. Happy Birthday to Jane who is too cute for words!

(V.Kerr) School Time Adventures said...

I love the perfectly captured moment of Jane under the table..so great! Thanks for having such a fun party!

Cathy said...

I love it! Pure brilliance!

Laura Read said...

That's awesome! You did a great job. I love the little rice krispy cakes. And the contact paper idea was brilliant. I want to live by you (imagine me singing that last sentence in a kind of "la, di, da, di, da" sort of way, because that's how it appeared in my brain).

Sharon said...

Max loved the party. Thanks for doing parties the real way. I just survive them. It's nice for Cara to have two aunts in the family who know how to spark up any occasion.

Tammy said...

Looks so fun it almost makes me want to be 4 again so i could come celebrate too! Happy Birthday to Jane!