April 16, 2010

Jack: 10 months

Really, I should just let the pictures speak for themselves. Look at this sweetie and you'll know we are just eating him up.





So, Jack has just turned 10 months. And I have to admit I wouldn't mind if he stayed this age for a while. He's big enough to do things and show some personality. But he's not big enough to be too naughty or talk back to me. And he's just so sweet and fun. I mean, really sweet. I could kiss him all day. I'm loving him.

I think it's so funny how precise I like to be with baby milestones. I'm not alone in that, am I? I mean, I feel so bad when I can't write down the exact day a tooth came in. But when have you ever asked your mom what day your 3rd tooth came? Or when you started rolling over for that matter? Do you even know when you started walking? Okay, walking maybe. I say, kids want to know their first word and that's about it.

But... I can't help myself. Somehow I need to freeze a little snapshot of memories of what he was like at 9 months old.
*He started dancing. So cute. Sometimes he'll bob up and down but he can also pull off the swaying side to side move. He usually starts right up when he hears any sort of music. And now he is usually swaying side to side when you go to get him from his crib.
*He started clicking. You know, with his tongue. It's cute. You can hear him coming because of his clicks. Well, that, and if he's crawling he tends to make a lot of racket now that he can really book it.
*Three top teeth have come in. (In the five days between when he turned 10 months and when this is being posted, he has gotten two more teeth--making a total of 7).
*He has started waving bye-bye. Mostly when someone in front of him is waving at him.
*He's opening cupboards and doors all the time now. Which means he is in to EVERYTHING.


*Jack has figured out how to move left while cruising. So he cruises all over the place. He also likes to walk behind things while pushing them. He'll pretty much do that to anything that will move: Jane's big Dora push toy, big boxes, the little chair in the kitchen. He gets annoyed when he hits a wall and can't make it go any farther.
*He is standing more and more without holding onto things. I've even seen him pick up a toy and stand back up without touching anything. But he hasn't stood up in the middle of the room yet.

One day at church I told Matt that I didn't think that Jack was going to beat Jane at walking. That very day Jack was standing without holding onto anything and I enticed him to come to me and he took one step with his right foot, kept his balance, but couldn't figure out how to move his left foot. We really thought he was going to do it. A handful of times he's managed to sneak a couple of extra steps in there before falling, but really it has turned more into him taking one step, then dive bombing to the closest person. He thinks it's hilarious. It's so different from Jane, who, if she felt unsteady at all would've cautiously sat herself back down. She never would've dive bombed. Matt and I are having a conversation right now actually about whether or not Jack has taken his "first steps." I don't think so. But I better get to bed. It's going to take me a while to fall asleep now that I'm racked with guilt that I'll probably never know an exact date to put down for when he took his first steps.

6 comments:

Clair said...

Oh my- that last photo is the most perfect and adorable mommy picture!!! I think jack may have found his reflection in the bottom of that pan. Speaking of guilt- I'm feeling terrible that I don't write about my kids enough... Love you

Cathy said...

I say the date of his first steps is the date of his first steps. Is that clear? If he only took one step, that's not steps. When he takes more than one, I would count that. And I'm with you on keeping track of everything. That's why we're such good mommies.

Ella said...

It's semi-clear, Cathy. I hear what you're saying. He has taken more than one step at times. But its' like a step, a stutter step with his bad foot, then another step with his good foot. Or he'll just get lucky while propelling himself forward into a dive bomb and manage to move his feet a few times. So "steps" have been taken, but nothing clear enough for me to write it down.

Candis Ellis said...

Look at him!!! He is SO precious! Love that last pic...it needs to be on your new shelf!

bakerfam said...

I along with everyone else love that last picture! It's so perfect at capturing that moment. He is a cutie. Let's hope Anna never asks about any of her firsts, I'll at least have to play it off like I don't know Jackson's either just to be fair. I say make up dates, close enough.

Kate said...

I was going to say that I love the last picture, but that would be redundant at this point. So I'll just say I love Jack. And I'd give the kid his first steps award. If he's gutsy enough to give it a go, I think he deserves recognition. Congratulations, little Jack.