This month has been full of "beto" and "lime-ano." Two made up words that Jane uses for everything. "I want beto minutes." "Otay Lime-ano." "Goodnight Big Beto."
As previously mentioned Jane has started telling us that she "loves" things. She always says it with thoughtful meaning and appropriate emphasis. "I LOVE kitty cats" for example. As far as I can remember she has told me she loves the following: birds, flowers, babies, tiny babies, dogs, and kitty cats.
One time she was gazing lovingly at Lavender and said, "Jesus loves animals. Jane loves animals too." She really does love her stuffed animals. She used to always sleep with her big pink dog but has now decided that it is too big to fit in her crib. So she asked me to put it in bed with me but made sure that I knew it would get cold so it needed blankets. She also reminded me to leave the door open for him.
When Jane is sad or upset about something and just can't shake it she'll say repeatedly through her tears, "I wanna be happy."
Jane likes to have us all pretend to be other people. Gender is of no consequence. Sometimes she is Jared and Matt is Jenni. Or I am Sharon, Matt is Cara, and Jane is Maddie. And we all have to call each other by the appropriate name throughout the day. And it can become quite the task remembering who's who if she has switched it up about five times already.
Jane walked in looking like this and announced. "I have a mustard. I Papa." Then she told Matt that he was Grandma.

For some reason it had been a very long time since Jane had eaten raisins. When I gave her some she thought they were pretty cool and told me they were "gums."
I think Jane is the type of toddler who would become obsessed with The Wiggles if I allowed it. So far I have let her watch some songs on youtube. She of course loves their Twinkle Little Star rendition and dances like the ballerinas. She also enjoys "Toot Toot Chugga Chugga Big Red Car" (do you see why I'm not thrilled to let her become obsessed?). Before her nap she requested to watch these songs and I told her she could when she woke up. Four hours later she was hanging out with Matt and all of a sudden shot up very excitedly saying "I awake!" "I wake up!" "Watch songs now!"
Even though Jane has cut back on her Signing Time viewing she's still going strong with her signs. She tries to bring Matt up to speed with her by teaching him along the way. She told him we were going to the Library and explained, "Make an L. Now circle it." And here were her instructions on how to sign purple while visually showing Matt each step along the way: "Make a V. Make a K. Make a P. And shake it." And she now likes to ask me how to spell things so that we can fingerspell it together.
Matt and Jane have a weird little voice that they do together. Kind of like a weird version of baby talk. Matt probably uses it more than Jane does so I think it is so funny that when Jane isn't in the mood for the voice she'll tell Matt, "calmer," Meaning he should speak normally.
One night I put a small headband in my hair to wash my face. It pushed all my bangs back into little spikes along the headband. Jane started laughing and said, "You're Jenni." I am quite certain she was remembering when Jenni did this to her hair:

One time Jane was crying and her nose started running. She said, "My nose has tears."
When Jane sets something up with her toys that she thinks is really cool she'll give me specific instructions on not touching it. The other day she said, "Don't touch it. It's really special. I'll be really mad at you." Where did she get that? We certainly have never said that to her!
Jane likes to try to feel the baby move. She put her hand on my stomach and said, "You have to wait." She was able to feel his hiccups one night. Later she felt him move and said, "He farted."
Jane went through a period of running away and trying not to get caught anytime we asked her to do anything. Even if she asked us to help her with her shoes or something as soon as we would come to help her she would run away giggling. It got really annoying. So we have been stressing to her that she needs to be a good listener. About a month ago we had a Family Night lesson on "obeying." So imagine how my heart melted last night when Matt went to brush her teeth and Jane started to run away. He said, "Jane you need to be a good listener." She stopped in her tracks, looked at Matt and looked at where she wanted to run to, and said, "I obey." Then she walked back to Matt to have her teeth brushed.
And her greatest joke of all comes from all the times she has accompanied me at my prenatal appointments. After acquiring a little toy cup she put it under her crotch and said, "I peeing." (with sound effects). When Matt came home from work that evening and walked into the kitchen, Jane greeted him by shoving the little cup under his crotch and telling him to pee. She realized the cup might be too small and switched it out for a bowl.

7 comments:
Way cute as always though I could do without the cup vs. bowl visual.
Olivia used to make up names. Gabbada the cat was the one she used most. When I tell her now, she can't believe she ever did that.
I'm thinking Jane is a very compassionate person and very in touch with emotions.
Awesome about the signs. Most kids her age don't even know that letters exist let alone be signing them and asking how to spell. That's awesome.
Hope Jane has a happy few more days as "only child."
Not much longer!!! Jane is going to be a great big sister!!! So fun!!
I love the Jane updates!!!
Jane is so adorable! I love the Jenni's hair thing. If Sam reads this, I know he'll start laughing when he hears about the cup!
Oh that funny little Jane. I love her new understanding of obedience. That's some good parenting! Can I bring Noah up for an obedience training session or two? Really. :)
I'm so glad you do these monthly Jane updates. I love reading about her funny life. My favorite stories were the nose tears, teaching Matt the way to sign, and the pee story. Very funny girl. I wish I knew her more!
I mean to call you all the time, but I never do. Feel free to call me if you get the urge this week. Maybe that'll be my motivation to try and call you before you call me. I'd love to talk to you before that baby of yours is born.
I remember when Matt was young and he was very into Richard Scarry characters and The Hulk. I remember him naming all of us from Richard Scarry. If we called him Matt he got mad and said, "I not Matt, I Mr. Frumble!" Then he changed as he got older and we had to call him The Incredible Hulk. He had a belt with him on it so maybe he thought that was his name tag. Now you know where Jane got it from.
Post a Comment