June 14, 2009

John Matthew Jespersen


He's alive (lighting strikes)! Jack is here. And he is Jack (an issue Ella and I were still dithering about after he was born). He weighed 6 lbs 14 oz. The smallest fry possible. Let me take you through it all.

On Thursday morning, Ella went to see the midwives to have her membranes stripped. Apparently, having your membranes stripped is a way to induce labor, but I'm not sure I understand how. Ella said, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. She said it works if you're ready to have the baby. Come again? I thought being ready to have the baby made the baby come. And the term is as ambiguous as it's effectiveness. I had never heard of that term before about a month ago. But it sounds like it could mean anything. I feel like if I blow my nose, I just stripped my membranes. In any case, Ella came home with her membranes stripped, and she told me she thought it was going to happen any moment. Do you know how that made me feel? Exactly how I felt five months ago. Having a baby is the weirdest thing. It was the same with Jane. Right up until that little feller pops out it feels like it's still a good ways down the road. I think that's a natural feeling the Lord puts in dads' brains so we don't run and hide in a closet. We just kind of stumble excitedly to the hospital with a vague sense of future change.

So I went to bed that night but was soon awakened when Ella complained of contractions keeping her from sleep. Not close enough to merit heading to the hospital, but painful enough to make sleep impossible. I went back to sleep (because I was tired), but I was soon instructed that I had to stay awake, too. So I tried to sit with Ella and stave off sleep as she staved off major pain. When the pain became too great, it was time to call the midwife. Call her on the phone, right? Of course not. Doctors and medical personnel are the only idiots who haven't discovered the cell phone yet. They're stuck in the 20th century with their ridiculous pagers. (It reminds me of cop shows where the police still have to "get a trace" when the bad guy's on the phone while the rest of the world just checks the caller ID. "Just ten more seconds and we'll have him! Keep him on the line! Five more seconds!" And then the bad guy invariably hangs up right before they have the trace. It's weird how the cops and the bad guys all know exactly when the trace is going to go through, like they've synchronized their watches. Just look at the caller ID. But we were talking about pagers, right?) Why do doctors need pagers? Why can't we call their cell phones? Why do you page them in the first place? So they can call you back. And when you page a doctor, it means, "call me now!" Something big is going down. Then they call you and say, "What's going down?" Why not just call them on their phone and eliminate the redundancy? They're the only people left on the planet with pagers. So Ella "paged" the midwife a number of times, and she never got a call back. Well, that wasn't going to work, so before long, we were in the hospital.

So far things weren't looking so great. Ella picked a midwife this time around because of the horrible experience with Jane. (A quick recap: A Caribbean nurse was yelling, "Get angry, Mama!" in a calypso voice, while swaying and clapping her hands with an intense look on her face like a cornerman in a prizefight. The OB on call--who was ticked that Ella's regular OB didn't induce her when he saw her earlier that day--was literally rolling his eyes while letting out a "psss" sound when Ella tried to push as hard as she could. He said, "That's not going to do it.") So we were pretty worried when the midwife was not responding to this bastion of technology, the pager. The hospital didn't wait around. They hooked her up to some wires and gave her the proverbial cup of ice. Ella let them know she wanted an epidural sooner than later, and we were moved to a labor and delivery room where we waited for the anesthesiologist. And he gets his own paragraph.

We're sitting there, Ella braving her growing contractions, when the door opens, and a man who looked like perhaps he was an orderly, wheels in a table of medical paraphernalia and announces, "I'm Dan from Anesthesia." His hair was bleached blond and gelled into a faux-hawk. He had a soul patch, which was also bleached blond. He was well-tanned and his arms were shaved. He started to work and I slowly became accustomed to the idea that this was our anesthesiologist, though he could just as easily have stepped off the set of Baywatch. His own introduction demonstrated that even he didn't quite believe he was actually an anesthesiologist. "It is I, Dan from the island nation of Anesthesia." Great, Dan, that's the exact country my wife wants to visit. Show us the way. In spite of his unorthodox appearance, he actually had quite a wonderful bedside manner, and we liked him. Now that I think about it, anesthesiologists seem to always have a great bedside manner. Perhaps that's fitting of someone who is basically a legal version of a drug dealer. They know they're there to make you high as a kite, and they're going to get bank doing it. So they do it with a smile. When he left, Ella had a smile too, taking a vacation to Anesthesia:
And from there until about 7:00AM, everything was bliss. At 7:00, Ella's midwife walked in. We found out she wasn't avoiding us at all. Her pager simply dropped the last digit of Ella's phone number. What else is left to say about pagers? The midwife broke Ella's water. At 7:30, Ella started pushing. This was a night and day experience from Jane's birth. Ella was all business and 100% champ. The midwife, for her part, was fantastic. Jack wanted to come out facing up (like Jane did), but that is really hard on mommies, so the midwife worked hard to turn Jack around before he popped out (unlike the eyerolling OB from Miami), and she succeeded. She gave positive encouragement whenever Ella pushed (unlike the lead singer for the steel drum band from Miami), and by 7:54, Jack popped out:His head is considerably smaller than Jane's was, which was nice for Ella. (Jane was actually in the 100th percentile for head size. What that means, if I understand the math, is that Jane's head at two weeks old was larger than 100 percent of all two week old heads that have ever been on the earth. I find that an impressive statistic, if not perhaps a little difficult to believe, but that's what the doctor said. A different doctor with possibly zero tact once had this conversation with us about Jane's head. Tactless Doctor: "Oh boy, she's got a big head." Then she looked at me, sizing up my skull and continued: "She must get that from Daddy." Me: "I wear a normal hat size." Tactless Doctor: "We'd have to measure.")

Because Ella wasn't afraid she was dying this time, she was able to immediately enjoy the little feller:Sharon brought Jane to see him:We hope they're best of friends. If not, we hope they're worst of enemies. No middle ground.

We're so thankful to you all for support and visits and gifts in welcoming Jack into our lives. And now I have two people to take pictures of for the blog (and sometimes I get to throw Ella in, too).

24 comments:

Jenni said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to meet him and I can't wait for the forthcoming blogs about Jane and Jack...and sometimes Ella.

bakerfam said...

I can't believe I get to comment first. First, congrats, he is truly adorable. Second, while I love your posts Ella, it's kind of fun that you will be too busy for a while and Matt will have to do them all. I was laughing outloud forever. Especially over the tactless doctor and head size comments. You are a champ! I expect frequent pics.

bakerfam said...

while I was writing my i'm the first to comment, comment someone trumped me. thanks jenni :)

The Griner Family: said...

Yay!!! Congrats!!

cara said...

Super Cute! I love him!!

Anonymous said...

AHHHH Congrats, he is so beautiful and tiny. I'm glad things went better this time. I'll be honest I was a little afraid that you would have an awful experience just because we all said how great the midwives were. So yeah for not having a nurse yell at you!! Can't wait to meet him.

Laura Read said...

Nick checked your blog and said, "Did you know Ella had her baby?" I about cried. Hurray for you. I'm glad to hear all went well this time around and you were able to enjoy Jack right away. I'm really sad I didn't get to call you before he was born. I've been thinking about it so much lately that last night I had a bizarre dream about you giving birth and not having enough oxygen. I am so happy that was not the case. I will call you tomorrow. Case closed.

Kate said...

Yay I was waiting for a good post, and you came through. Sweet pictures. Although you almost look like you have gray hair in the epidural picture, must be the lighting :) Or the fact that now you are the mother of two and if that won't age you I don't know what will. Maybe being the mother of 3? Anyway, congratulations, I'm happy for you guys. He's beautiful.

Joy said...

Congrats Ella! He is so adorable.

MomandDad said...

Congratulations! What an adorable little guy. Aren't babies wonderful. What a wonderful way to start people. Hope Jane and Jack become fast friends. We love you.

buchanancasa said...

Congratulations! What a handsome little feller. And I know about the big head phenomena: until Micah was three, he would point to certain shirts I got out for him to wear and say, "No, that one hurts." Thank goodness for shirts w/ buttons down the back.

Clair said...

I love Jack already! Excellent walk through the labor, Matt. Congrats to all of you! Love the fresh born photos and the pic of Ella and Jack at the end is wonderful! Can't wait to hear about how big sister reacts to the addition. I just know she'll do/say something totally blogworthy. Apparently, if a Griner girl (who of course has a normal sized head) marries a man with a large skull, she still has a 50% chance of having a baby with a regular sized head. (J/K) I've got two of each.

Christina said...

Congratulations again! Hope I can help out more in the coming weeks!

Tammy said...

Congrats! So excited all went well this time. Jack is adorable and looks very much like his big sister I think. Can't wait to meet him.

LJ, DC and ML said...

Hurray hurray! He's so stinking cute! SO excited for you guys!

Candis Ellis said...

What a wonderful recount of the birth! Jack is just adorable, I know you know that, but I want to say it over and over again!

"we'd have to measure." hilarious.

Ryan said...

Welcome to the world, Jack! Your girlfriend will be here in a few months, so don't cry too much right now. Just soak it all in. Your big sister is awesome. Your parents are hilarious. You are destined to be a great photographer, writer or drama king.
Matt, that was the greatest post I've read it a really long time. I haven't laughed that hard in months. Thanks.

Ryan said...

Yay for Jack!! Although, in my head he was still Hank. I had to do a little adjusting...but I'm good now. He's a cutie! And I'm so glad that this experience was so much better than last time. I can't wait to come and see him! Let me know when I can! Matt--great job taking us through it! I have a bad cold (so, ok, I won't be able to come see him this week) and I was laughing and coughing and choking so hard I thought I might pass out. So thanks for almost killing me!

Ryan said...

Ok that last comment is me, Megan. I didn't realize Ry was still logged in.

Desta said...

Congrats! Glad you had a better experience this time. He is certainly cute. Good luck!

Paola said...

Congrats you guys!! Now you have an even cuter family!!!

Dana said...

That is so great! Congratulations to you both! I love your humor Matt. You both make me laugh. Jack is such a cute name. I want to use it too cause it was my grandpas name. But maybe we'll have all girls. I know Aaron hopes we do. He is a cutie!

Keeping Life Creative said...

Congrats!! He is just adorable. Hope the transition to two goes smoothly for you!

bryceandjamie said...

Congrats! He's adorable and I'm glad everything went so well!