April 5, 2009

2.5 years old!

Happy Half-Birthday, Jane! So, in true 5th of the month fashion, here's some things that Jane has been up to.


*Jane and I were eating strawberries and one had a crease down the middle. She pointed it out and told me it was "Mommy's bum-bum."

*I asked Jane one night where Jesus lived and she said "someday." As in the line of the song, "to live with him someday."

*Jane loves treats but I don't bake very often. But this week we made cookies together (No-Bake cookies for those of you aware of my vow to never bake cookies again due to the fact that I am horrible at it). She was beside herself with glee as we were making them and when I started dropping them onto the wax paper in cookie shape she stared lovingly at them and said, "Oh thank you! Thank you, cookies!"

*Jane asked to see something on the computer. I said okay and then Jane reminded me, "Mommy not check e-mail first."

*One time I was trying to rush Jane out the door and was urging her on from behind. She let me know, "Don't push me. That not nice!"

*Usually Jane can convey to us what she wants to say. But sometimes she can be hard to decipher even for us. One night she told me she wanted a plain potato. I thought that was odd because she doesn't like potatoes. I kept asking her what she meant and she kept saying plain potato. I showed her a potato but that wasn't it. I showed her the Mr. Potato Head but that wasn't it either. Then she clarified that she wanted the red potato, blue potato, yellow potato, etc. So I grabbed the Play-Doh and saved the day!

*Another morning she woke up too early and Matt had almost gotten her to go back to sleep except that she had requested a green chopstick. Matt didn't understand her at first and tried to ignore the request to no avail. So he went and got a green chopstick from my collection and asked her, "You want this?" She said, "Uh...otay." Later I woke up and she told me the whole story about waking up and needing the green chopstick. I immediately knew she had wanted her green chapstick.

*Apparently Jane thinks that "being funny" means that you are the one laughing. If she's doing something she thinks is laugh-worthy she'll tell me, "Be funny, mommy!" Which means that I should laugh. Or if I laugh when she's in a bad mood she'll say, "No be funny!" Or if I laugh at something on the phone she'll ask, "You be funny, mommy?"

*Jane calls short-sleeves and long-sleeves up-sleeves and down-sleeves.

*When Jane has to go #2 she tells us to get out of the bathroom and shut the door. Then she yells at us to close our eyes.

*Jane drew this picture of our family. She told me who everyone was. I did have to remind her to draw the upcoming addition to our family.


*One morning Jane came into the bedroom to wake me up. She said, "Hi Pumpkin" only pronounced it "Tunkin." So later I said to her "Hi Tunkin" and she said, "Not T, Tunkin. PUMpkin."

*One day Jane was bored and said, "I wanna show you something." I said, "You want to show me something?" She said, "No, show Jane something." I guess she thought I'd have something cool up my sleeve.

*I discovered the depths of Jane's manipulation one day after she didn't take a nap. Before trying to get her to take a nap I told her that she'd be going to the doctor with the fish tank when she woke up. Then she cried and fussed for a long time until it was useless to let her fall asleep with so little time before her doctor's appointment. So I let her out of bed. Twice she told me the story only I couldn't believe it the first time. I told her to get her coat on so we could go to the doctor and she said, "I not go to sleep! I cry, Mommy! Mommy!" Then she made fake crying noises and said, "That's funny."

*Jane's excuse for why she can't do something now includes "I'm busy" instead of just "I'm tired." And we hear it all the time. She's gotten into a very annoying routine when Matt leaves for work and goes to give her a kiss. She runs away yelling "I'm busy."

*As expected Jane's intense Daddy phase from a few months ago has switched over to a Mommy phase. I don't think it's as intense since she'll still hang out with her Dad but she does prefer for me to read to her and sing to her at night. In fact it had probably been a month straight of her choosing me to sing to her when she finally chose Daddy. After singing to her Matt came into the living room and told me, "Man, I felt like I was auditioning for American Idol. I was spinning her around, trying to make it the coolest singing time ever." But his tactics didn't work and we're now back to a few weeks straight of the mommy request.

*One thing we adore about Jane is her tender heart. If she ever sees someone that's sad she's very concerned. In all the moments I've had some pregnancy meltdowns she comes to my rescue saying "What's wrong, Mommy?" "What's the matter?" Then she'll hug me and get tissues to wipe my tears. And she'll stay right by me until I feel better. So one time I took this sensitive little gal to see her first movie at the dollar theater. We saw Despereaux, a movie about a little mouse. We had to sit in the front row and she couldn't even sit on the seat without it folding her up. But she thought it was amazing. Within the first 20 minutes while she was still glued to the experience, the mouse gets chased by knights holding long battle axe things. So you see a frightened little mouse with the axes coming down all around him. Jane has never seen such horror so I tried to block her eyes but she fought my hands off. When the scene ended the theater went silent except for Jane bawling, "Mouse!" She was so upset. Luckily I was able to distract her when the other scary parts of the movie came on later because she was losing interest. I don't think our little sensitive girl is ready to venture past Signing Time yet!

1 Year Ago:


2 Years Ago:


3 Years Ago:

6 comments:

The Griner Family: said...

We sure do wish we lived closer to you guys so we could see Jane grow up. She is so smart and cute too!!

MomandDad said...

We just love that little girl. We too wish we were closer. Thank you so much for your posts. It really helps us keep in touch. Jane is really growing up. She'll make a good big sister.

cara said...

Jane is so cute!

Sharon said...

Awesome! My Mom never calls my blog cute.

Megan said...

I love it! I laugh so hard whenever you talk about the things she says. She's adorable!

Kate said...

Too cute. I love the Cookie story. Poor cookieless Jane! And her demand for poop privacy is funny too. Kyle is bringing your pump up this weekend (without me). And Noah got his mail today, and I asked him what was inside. He said: "Jesus". Hmm.