But I was brave and I decided that March 23, 2009 I would throw Jane the Paci Party of all Paci Party's. For the few days leading up to the party I talked to Jane about what was going to happen. How we were going to have cake and presents and balloons because she was a big girl now and was ready to throw her pacifiers away. She seemed down with the idea, although after mentioning the word cake I'm not sure how much she listened to the rest. When I or others would ask Jane what she was going to do at her paci party she would respond, "Throw my paci's away." One day I asked her what we were going to do on Monday and she said, "Happy Birthday Paci's. Throw my paci's away. That's silly." But on Monday morning I laid down by her in the morning and explained in detail what it meant to be throwing her pacifiers away--how they would go bye-bye and that they would be all-gone. She got a little concerned and said, "I NEED my paci."
So, on Monday I told her that we needed to go to the store because I had to buy some things for her paci party. A half hour later I was putting her in the car and she said, "I need ice cream and two cakes for paci party." I hadn't thought of ice cream so I'm glad she mentioned it. I made the cake, put up 2 balloons, and wrapped the dollar store presents while Jane napped and sucked away on her paci for the last time.
She was so excited when she saw her party she kept asking when Dad would be home. Finally the big moment arrived. She sat up in a chair in front of the cake, chucked her four pacifiers into the trash can without a second thought and started in on the frosting.


Then she dug into her presents:




The party was a success but the real challenge was still ahead of us! She initially went to bed okay and may have asked for her paci once but I can't remember. She did, however, want to take each and every present into bed with her as if saying, "If I can't have my paci you're at least going to give me these." So we said Goodnight and didn't hear from her for about an hour. Could it be? A miracle? Then I heard some crying and went in there. She was finally getting tired which I guess made her realize that she wanted her paci after all. She never really seemed to ask for her paci like she expected us to get them but it was more like she simply wanted to let us know "I NEED my paci." One time she said sadly, "Throw my paci away, I need it." But she finally fell asleep around midnight. And you know, the rest of the week wasn't too bad. There were a couple times she didn't nap. And there were a couple nights she cried. Especially after climbing onto her chair and going to get her pacifier only to remember that she had thrown them all away. But the last couple nights she hasn't mentioned her paci's and she's even fallen asleep at nap time too. Our little Jane is all grown up!
9 comments:
I can certainly relate to this one. Hope Jane is still doing well.
Hooray for Jane, way to go! It is a little hard to let go of their "baby" tendencies but look on the bright side, you are about to have another baby! :)
Smart doing it cold turkey. Eliza is our only one who ever took a pacifier, and I just threw them in the trash when she was 18 months. No explanation, nothing. And she never asked for it! Weird.
What a great idea! You are so creative! And I'm glad Jane seems to be recovering all right :) I have to wean Tyler of his bottle. I've been putting it off because I know it's going to be hard!
I think my mom told you this, but, our neighbors (who were our neighbors in our old house) had a 'paci' party and they put the paci in a balloon filled with helium.
That is a cute story, I will have to remember this when my baby gets older. Jane is so cute!
I guess now that she is all grown up you will be arranging a marriage for her soon.
I'm happy for Jane. I hope she stays strong in 3 months when she is surrounded by all those brand new baby pacis! That's what happened to my friend--she found her little son alone in the nursery with his newborn brother's "beesh" (as he called it), kissing it and saying: "I miss you beesh. I love you beesh".
Congrats to both you and Jane! What a big step. Ella, what a great idea to have a party.
Post a Comment