September 23, 2008

Jane's big milestone

A couple weeks ago Matt was getting Jane ready for her bath when she announced that she needed to go pee-pee. He put her on her potty seat and she went for the very first time! After that it's been a breeze! She's been in panties for over a week now and has only had one (half of one, really) accident! HOWEVER, she only goes #1 on the potty. For #2 she sneaks it in before or after naptime or before or after bedtime when she already has a diaper on. So my question to you experienced mothers is this: How can I get her to go #2 on the potty?

Here's a really cute sequence of pictures. Jane was playing outside when she realized she needed to go pee-pee. Here's her rushing inside.




5 comments:

Kate said...

I love these pictures. They really do tell a story! I wish I could be inside her head. "pee pees in potty! pee pees in potty! mints mints mints!" Jane is funny.

Candis Ellis said...

this sounds weird, but you can take the diaper off after she goes, and have her watch you dump the goods in the toilet. That way she knows that that stuff goes in there. That really helped James. Cute pics btw. As always.

Matt said...

Sometimes Mommy like to sugarcoat things. I picked Jane up from the bathtub and put her on her little potty. She went potty. Then she went into hysterics--nearly lost her mind. She was inconsolable throughout her bath. I think she was frightened by the new freedom. She got better after that, crying less with each potty session. By the second day, she was like an old lady with a slot machine. Sit down, go potty, give me my mint. I don't know why the image of an old lady at a slot machine came to mind. I didn't mean to imply that they all suffer from incontinence as they work the slots--only that Jane has become automatic. She knows how to get a mint. In fact, last night as I was about to brush her teeth to get her ready for bed, she looked at me in the mirror, got a sly grin and said, "Mint." She kind of knows Dad is more of a pushover than Mom, and she thought I would just give her one, since sometimes I sneak her two mints after she goes potty. I told her she had to go potty for a mint. She sat down on the potty, forced out some pee pee, clapped, said, "Yay," then said, "Mint." Far different from her original potty session.

Sharon said...

Ella, you already know that I think potty training sucks, and having trained five, none are alike. But if she is consistently dry, don't put a diaper on her for naps. And make sure the last thing she does at night is pee. First thing in the morning, take her diaper off. All it takes is one poop (usually, Sam was a MAJOR exception) to get them to realize that it's just as easy as pee. Have fun, and hopefully no accidents.

The Griner Family: said...

Ella, we had the same problem with our kids. Andy finally asked Aubrey "What do you want more than anything in the entire world?" Aubrey wanted a Dora toy. So every she had to go to the bathroom we reminded her that she would get to go to the store and pick out a Dora Toy if she went
#2 and a week later she did. I was so excited! Andy took her right to the store to pick out a Dora toy but Aubrey ended up picking a Cinderella Barbie (which was surprising b/c Andy said he would let Aubrey have Barbies). She always went in the toilet after that!