June 9, 2008

Happy One Month!

Today marks the one-month anniversary of my last post. We are picture challenged. I could only assume you are tired of reading my words, but I have succumbed to the peer pressure of my one lonely fan. So I've wracked my brain to think of what Jane did during her 19th month of life. Here's what I came up with:
*She continues to cling to me in nursery as if all other kids are monsters who want to attack her.
*Jane is very interested in happy/sad emotions. She likes to label the emotions of those around her and if we pretend to be sad she tells us to be happy. Today she was coloring at the table and I left the room for a moment. When I came back in she was coloring on the chair and showed me excitedly. I exaggerated my sad face and gave her a lecture in my sad voice about how that makes mommy sad. During the lecture Jane had that face you get when you know you should look serious but you really are close to cracking up in laughter. She finally couldn't contain it anymore and started cracking up. In between laughs she said, "sad, sad". Not the reaction I was aiming for.
*Jane gets excited to see ants, proclaiming "Ant! Ant!" I get sad when I hear her saying that INSIDE our house.
*Some friends of ours have an Elmo how-to video on using the potty. I thought Jane might like it/learn a thing or two so we borrowed it. The day after watching it she pooped in the bath tub. She hasn't done that in about 5 months. She didn't even tell us. She always tells us. Thanks for nothing Elmo.
*Jane likes to try to guess gender. She is almost always wrong. I think it embarrasses people. We'll be in the checkout line and she'll point to a middle-aged woman and say "Boy!" I whisper, "No, that's a girl." I can tell they've heard our conversation. I would like to explain that she doesn't know what she's talking about. It's worse when she says"girl" it to a 5 year old boy. They get really embarrassed.
*Jane has learned the art of throwing things. If we upset her in any way she'll grab whatever she can reach. It's always followed with a sassy look of "What are you going to do about it?"
*Jane is obsessed with the intro song of "Signing Time." During a 20 minute drive I had to sing it over and over and over again to keep her from losing it. "It's signing time with Alex and Leah. It's signing time with Alex and Leah. There's singing time and dancing time and laughing time and playing time, and now it is our favorite time, Signing Time. It's signing time with Alex and Leah. It's signing time with Alex and Leah. Come and play. Come and play." Can you imagine?
*Jane loves to eat by herself. Not just feeding herself but she likes to be completely alone. If I approach the table she politely waves and says "Bye." The other day she was just sitting there forever so I said, "Jane, take a bite." She started whining and said, "Mommy......no......bye, bye." I wouldn't want someone telling me when to take bites either. Apparently she'll start eating sometime because it's always gone when I come back in.

That is all I could produce in my brainstorm. I am so happy to have those memories written down! What an angel she is in our lives. We could not be more thrilled to have her in our family.

Update: I thought of 3 more and have to write them here for my sake:
*Jane loves eating corn on the cob. Each time she'll try to eat it off the cob. She takes a few bites then stands it up vertically and says "Cut it" (pronounced cutty)
*Jane still loves her one moment of the day to get her vitamin. Almost everyday when I'm getting one vitamin out of the bottle she'll say, "bowl?" Just hoping that one of these days I'll let her sit down to a big bowl full of vitamins.
*The other night Jane kept calling out for mom and dad. She wasn't really crying but she was WIDE awake. When I would go in there she kept trying to tell me something but I didn't know what it was. I kept telling her that she needed to try to go to sleep. After the third or fourth time I figured out she was saying "hair." She had a hair in her mouth.

8 comments:

Clair said...

Too cute! The boy/girl thing would be embarrassing. Reminds me of a time when one of mine pointed to a lady covered in tattoos and said "look!" This lady started to mumble about what a bad parent I was, not teaching my kids any manners. The more I thought about it though, I figured that most people that get tattoos do want you to look at them. I love all the Jane stories and it makes me excited to think Seth will be doing/saying such cute things in a couple years.

Veronica said...

Jane is sooo darling. I know when Savannah starts doing some of those things I will be at my wits end and yet laughing in secret when it is all said and done.

Megan said...

YAY! Thanks for the update! I love reading about the cute things Jane is doing. My favorite is definitely the gender-guessing!

buchanancasa said...

One lonely fan? I check your blog all the time. I love these funny stories, good for you for recording them.

MomandDad said...

Ella, I love your blogs. It really keeps me in touch with you guys and i'm excited to hear about our little granddaughter. This is a great way to keep a journal. Keep them coming. I love to hear about Jane, and about you and Matt. She is such a cutie.

LJ, DC and ML said...

I'll be the 6th fan, but only because I've been out of town for a week. :) LOVE you guys, glad to hear you're doing well!

Laura Read said...

I have to tell you that I'm pretty sure Agnes thinks Alex and Leah are really her friends or part of her family or something. She talks about them all the time, constantly singing, "Alex knows the colors; Leah knows the colors, rainbow too."

Patti said...

Hi Ella- from Laura's mom!
Lex de Azevedo was in our ward for awhile. He's a super nice guy (my little claim to fame).