May 9, 2008

Cookie Monster

Okay, it's yet another insignificant Jane story. I'm sorry! I have been feeling very nostalgic and I don't want to forget anything! (And so far this is the only place I've been writing anything down, but I would like to start a journal.)
I just wanted to share that Jane LOVES going to her cousins' house (Matt's sister's). We go there about once a week and recently I decided to completely give up on not letting her eat sweets over there. Just to be clear, we practically never eat cookies or candy or the like at our house. And if we do, Jane doesn't know about it. But when she goes to her cousin's house she sees them eating goodies and things. For awhile I was able to keep her from thinking too much about it but she is older and wiser now and it just seems cruel to tell her no when everyone else around her is eating the thing she wants to try. After that first taste she was hooked! So I pretty much let her have at it because I'm usually desperate to keep her happy so that I can keep playing a board game or something. One night Matt's sister had made some yummy chocolate chip cookies. Jane asked for one, then another, then another. Then I noticed her ask her cousin George for one and he obliged. Then she asked cousin Max for one and he (only 3 years old) reached the counter and helped her out. She ate at least 5. She has also figured out where they keep their store bought snacks and visits that cupboard routinely. Vanilla wafers, Fruit Loops, Goldfish, all yummy food she knows she can find there. She is in heaven. For the past month, as soon as we get inside their house she says "cookie." It is totally cracking us up. And then, I guess she can recognize their neighborhood because we were driving over there last weekend and when we turned on to their street she said, "Cookie." Bless her precious mini little cookie-loving heart. I love her so much.

3 comments:

K8 said...

So, would you say that it is impossible to keep your children from junk food? My mom tried so hard, but I had friends who had white bread at their house, and I would go over and ask for buttered bread, and I was in heaven. Then I found Little Debbie Snacks and sugar cereal, and it was all downhill since then. Oh well, Jane is a good kid, maybe the junk food is just a stage.

Jenni said...

Every kid needs their place to go where they know they're going to get treats that their mom would never let them have. For me it was Amy Head's house. They always had ding dongs. Sharon's pantry is definitely a dangerous place when it comes to snacking. I remember one time when Matt and I were both at BYU and over at Sharon's one weekend. Matt opened her pantry door and said, "Su pantry es mi pantry" and proceeded to snack away. It's only fitting that Jane should follow suit.

Megan said...

so...I kind of feel like a bad mom! You are doing so well with Jane. I don't think I'm ever going to be like that because I myself like junk food so much! I let Tyler suck on a Twizzler last week! How bad is that?!