The kids have been looking forward to their "Movie Sleepover" all week. I felt bad that they never got one of those vacation nights where all rules get thrown out the window so I let them bring all the blankets they could find and their pillows and watch as many movies as they wanted until they fell asleep. They ate snacks and popcorn and I made cookies. Everything was going perfectly until they were on their fourth movie at 12:30am and all three were still wide awake. I didn't expect that. I told them it was time to turn off the movie and go to sleep. Jack and Hank immediately wanted to go up to their beds and Jane was SOOO disappointed that the sleepover she had longed for hadn't happened the way she pictured. There was a lot of overly-tired bawling and flailing about. Matt offered to sleep out there with her but eventually after 1 a.m. even she succumbed to the comfort of her own bed upstairs.
Some other items got crossed off the Summer Checklist as well. We made Kool-Aid playdough, roasted marshmallows for smore's one night in the canyon, and made a trip to the arboretum again. Unfortunately I didn't snap any pictures.
I think I forgot to mention last week that Farm Country was Hank's first time choosing the Family Fun Night Activity. He was in total heaven being able to call all the shots. He also got his first pick at Pick Dinner. He chose boxed macaroni and cheese and pineapple. (unfortunately very similar to Jack's go-to pick of mac and cheese and strawberries).
Matt and I have noticed how quick Hank is to revel in his good relationship with us if we are ever expressing frustration with Jane and Jack. He will come give a hug or pipe in with an "I love you". If Matt is singing a song that is annoying Jane or Jack Hank will always tell him that he loves the song. Hank was born with amazing relational smarts. He is the absolute king of placation. He has a bad habit of letting his underwear get just a little bit wet with pee before actually going to the bathroom. So, one to three times a day Matt or I end up saying, "Hank, you peed your underwear again!" Hank instantly tilts his head, opens his arms wide and closes his fingers in and out in a symbol that it's hug time. If you try to talk particularly stern he will go for an immediate hug before you even get the words out. He always says, "It's ok. I not pee in my undies anymore." It is so hilariously adorable that it's almost to the point that Matt and I prefer for him to just pee in his undies.
Hank told Matt, "Dad, our baby Petri doesn't have hair." Matt asked 'Pete doesn't have hair?" Hank answered, "Yeah, cause of, he bald."
Jack's had a couple rough weeks around the house so we've been trying to spend more time with him when we get the chance. Matt took him to Lowe's with him and reported that it was going really well. He said it was a day full of "Right, Dad?s", a phrase that Jack uses very often any time he makes a statement. While on their excursion Matt texted me a quote from Jack but now can't recall what the situation was. But at one point, Jack remarked, "I don't know what ups their butts."
No comments:
Post a Comment