
Well, I’m 37 weeks and 5 days pregnant. I don’t feel that pregnant though. No aches and pains. No loss of sleep. No heartburn. I’m not bragging because I certainly have nothing to do with it--I’m just really grateful. I know that pregnancies can be really difficult for a lot of women and I really admire those of you who put up with that! Maybe that’s why I perceive the newborn stage with such negativity. I never reach that point in pregnancy where I would take ANYTHING over continuing being pregnant. As I’ve always said (since Jane) if given the choice I would gladly choose to be pregnant for 18 months and give birth to a 9 month old than the current status quo where babies come out completely helpless and needing to eat from you every 2 hours. I mean, look at the elephants--pregnant for 2 years but their babies can walk within an hour. Then again, I’ve already gained 30 pounds and would like to see that come to an end real soon.
But don’t worry I’m not THAT negative about newborns. Especially my own. I do love them. And I’m excited to meet this little feller. Like really excited. Birth is fun. Ha, ha, so I say now that I had a dream birth with Jack. That wasn’t my opinion post-Jane. My game plan is to go to the hospital erring on the early side of things. Get my epidural and chill out with Matt while eating yummy ice chips. Then I can hopefully push out my non-posterior (also known as anterior) baby. Both Jane and Jack were posterior, but I hear the pushing phase can go much more smoothly when their facing the right way. We’ll see how it turns out. So long as baby is healthy I will be so grateful. It’s hard not to worry about everything that could go wrong. It just feels like we’re pressing our luck wanting three healthy children.
About a week ago I started to feel overwhelmed with everything that needed to get done before the baby came. So I made a list and got to work. I’ve been working like crazy. I’ve done weird stuff like iron all of Jack’s church shirts, post on the blog, go to the aquarium, and get a haircut. And lots of the normal stuff like washing and cleaning and washing and cleaning and packing my hospital bag. Man, babies use a lot of stuff! The good news is that our shed all of a sudden has a lot more room in it. The bad news is that our house is even more packed than before.
One thing I did this go-round in baby preparation mode that I hadn’t done before was make lots of freezer meals. I’ve never cooked so much and done so many dishes. It was more than making the entire Thanksgiving meal by myself this year. So, bear with me as I share what I have to look forward to:
-3 batches of pizza dough
-2 batches of sweet and sour meatballs
-2 chicken pot pies
-Italian sausage soup
-2 pans of Cheesy Chicken Penne
-2 meatballs in marinara
-2 batches of chili
-chicken enchiladas
-coconut curry sauce
-chicken soup
-beef roast for au jus sandwiches
-taco meat
-meat, veggie and bean quesadilla filling
-and 2 bags of mini pumpkin muffins
Our house is so packed I told my mom she didn’t need to come to help with the baby. I am starting to second guess my decision, so I think that spurred all the cooking.
I can only assume I won’t be going into labor this week either. We still have lots to do. I want to clean the windows, clean the car, install the car seat, clean out our bedroom, and make space for the baby’s dresser and bassinet. And I’d like to get some Christmas blogs up, go to the dinosaur museum and even go swimming with the kids.
I also need to try to remember my idea that after the baby I was going to try to remove all expectations I place on myself for about 6 months. That means I shouldn’t expect myself to get any cleaning or cooking done, or expect myself to ever shower. My only job will be to keep three kids happy and healthy, right? I’m hoping that new attitude will help with the baby blues a little. I’m sure I’ll keep you posted.
Well, I know you’re dying to hear more about all my baby preparations, but really, I must leave some things to the imagination. Ha. Wish us luck!
4 comments:
Wow Ella! You have been busy. I am going to need all of your recipes, so if you could just add that to your list of things to do that would be great. Haha!
Way to go. There are few feelings more fulfilling to me than a full freezer. So proud of your progress pre-baby! Now we just get to wait for this new sweet boy!
Most impressive to me is that you could fit all of that stuff in your freezer. And, while I would also like to give birth to a more independent baby, I really don't think I could be pregnant any longer than I was. Unlike you, I was feeling it and I was done. Here's hoping you have a smooth and problem-free delivery.
I told my Mom she didn't have to come after George was born. Still one of the worst decisions of my life, but good news, I got through it. Here's hoping your first two weeks post partum go much better than mine did. And next time I don't know what to make for dinner, I know where to look!
Post a Comment