January 11, 2012

Jack gets a haircut

One day, I think Novemberish, Matt and I were sitting in church and we realized that both of our kids were having horrible hair days. So we decided that they could both use a trim. When we got home I gave Jane her usual trim- cutting of the bangs and some layering of the top stringy layers. Very little, if any cutting of the actual length. Which is insane because her hair has looked the same and been the same length for years. I am beginning to wonder if it will ever grow.

But that’s not the point. The point is that Jack got his hair cut. Matt and I loved Jack’s long, care-free hairstyle. It seemed to suit him, and it was just how we liked our Jack. So, when Matt’s hair trimming kept going awry we were freaking out just a bit. It got so bad that we decided it was time to bring out the trimmers and give him an all over buzz. We were really, really sad at first, but then we discovered that he could just as easily rock the short hair.

The saddest part of it all was that Jack was a big hair twirler. Ever since he was tiny he’s twirled his hair when he was tired or sad, etc. In fact, his Spanish speaking nursery leader once started twirling his hair, and said to us, “siempre, simepre.”

One time, pre-haircut Jack was crying in his crib before falling asleep for his nap. When I went into his room he was standing up doing his usual hair twirling. He said, "I stuck." I checked his feet and all around him and all looked fine. I said, “You're not stuck”. Again he told me he was stuck. That’s when I noticed he couldn't bring his arm down from his hair. His finger was twisted up in his hair so badly he couldn’t get it out.

So after his haircut there were a couple times when he cried and reached up to his hair and said sadly, “No haircut.”

BEFORE:


AFTER:

3 comments:

Clair said...

you're right-- her rocks them both! i love the pictures so much-- matt is so talented on the camera! or is it you, Ella? maybe both. anyway, paul used to twirl his hair too and had a long cut that i loved-- then he started to not only twirl but pull out patches-- so we actually had to go super short to avoid that!

your reports on the kids (whether monthly or annually) are so outstanding. i don't want to hear anything about guilt-- cause every mom that reads yours is feeling guilty that she hasn't recorded all that cute stuff herself-- you do a wonderful job and are creating a priceless keepsake for your family!

i always laugh at the janeisms and now i'm so excited that there are jackisms too. love them!

Molly said...

Aw. So cute! And a little sad that he said "no haircut" when he realized it was gone. What a sweet little guy.

MomandDad said...

I love your posts. It's so fun to hear about the kids. I wish we were closer so we could see them more often. Jacks haircut is adorable. My brother twisted hair too but it was my mom's hair and I guess sometimes it really pulled.
You do such a good job on all your quotes. You'll be so glad you do this. I thought I could remember all the cute quotes of our kids. Didn't happen. The pictures are adorable.