September 6, 2010

Art Recipes

Awhile ago I finally compiled all of my art recipes together. And I've been wanting to share them with you so you can have them all together too. I'm not including any links because there's too many and I'd have to hunt down where I got them all. But, of course, I am not the original creator of any of these recipes (and I doubt the blogs I got them from are the actual creators either).

Playdough
1 c. flour

1/2 cup salt

1 T. cooking oil

1 T. cream of tartar

1 c. water

Food coloring of your choice

Add-ins of your choice (i.e. spices, extracts, glitter, etc.)



Stir ingredients together well. Just measure them into the saucepan you will be using to cook the dough, but mix them well before heating up the pan. Over medium heat cook the dough, stirring constantly until it forms a ball.
 Let the playdough cool and then knead until it's smooth.

*My thoughts: This is a great playdough recipe. It always turns out and keeps for a very long time.

Fingerpaint
4 c water
1 c cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar

Heat over medium heat and STIR CONTINUOUSLY. Lumps will begin forming, and soon after that, the mixture will thicken like crazy. When it starts thickening, remove from heat immediately and stir for an additional minute. Spoon the paint into bowls (or fancy cottage cheese containers!) and let it cool for a few minutes. Add food coloring, and you've got paint!

*My thoughts: This is fun. As soon as you notice a little thickening I'd get it off the heat! Don't wait until you're SURE it's getting thick. It will be too late. And don't think you can leave your finger paint out for awhile and come back to it and use it later. It will be all dried out so you better cover it.

Silly Putty
1/2 cup white glue
1/2 cup liquid starch
food coloring
Let sit out and dry for a couple hours until desired texture.

*My thoughts: I would not call this silly putty. Maybe just a science experiment, or maybe you could call it gak. After a few hours I drained off the excess liquid and then let it sit out for a couple days. It would be fun to check it periodically and talk about how it's changing. But in general, it wasn't really something to "play" with, just to "check it out."

Bubbles
4 cups Water
1 cup Dish Soap
1/4 cup Corn Syrup

*My thoughts: These bubbles worked. But I still want to try a recipe with glycerin.

Salt Dough
1 cup flour
1/2 cup of salt
1/2 cup warm water.
Roll out dough and cut into shapes. Bake at 250 for about 2 hours.

*My thoughts: This is fun for doing "themes." If you're teaching shapes you can make the shapes, bake them, then paint them, sort them, match them, etc. You can do the same with whatever cutters you have: letters, animals, etc.

Salt Paint
2 T liquid laundry starch
2 T water
1 T tempera paint
1/2 cup salt

*My thoughts: I just didn't get this. Why not add salt to just your regular old paint? Then again, why add salt? I don't know. I just didn't get it. But Jane seemed to enjoy that it was little different.

Homemade Sidewalk Paint
-1/4 cup cornstarch
-1/4 cup cold water
-food coloring

*My thoughts: So fun. Try it before it gets cold!

Ones I still want to try:

Cornstarch Clay

2/3 cup salt
1/3 cup baking soda
1/2 cup cornstarch
In a small saucepan mix the salt and baking soda with 1/3 cup of water and bring to a boil.
In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water and stir well.
When the salt mixture boils, remove it from the heat and add the cornstarch mixture. Stir vigorously for a minute or two to thicken the clay. Spoon it onto a sheet of waxed paper and allow it to cool before working with it.

Kool-Aid Playdough

1 cup flour
2 TBSP cream of tartar
1/4 cup salt
2 pkgs. of sugar free Kool-Aid (use the same flavor/color for each color you make)
1 cup water
1 TBSP oil
1. In a saucepan combine everything but the oil.
Stir well.
2. Stir in oil.
3.Move saucepan to stovetop and cook for 3-5 minutes on medium heat. Stir well the entire time.
4. When a soft ball starts to form, turn off the heat and remove the pan. The playdough will be HOT, so be careful.
5. Remove the ball of dough from the pan and let cool for a second.
6. Knead well until soft.
7. Store in an airtight container or a ziplock bag.

Pinata

Mix up a thick soupy mixture of flour and water.
Dip strips of newspaper and apply a layer all over balloon. Let each layer dry before adding another.

What am I missing? Share your favorites with me!

4 comments:

Molly said...

I may have mentioned this on here before. My mom sometimes gives the grandkids buckets of water and a paintbrush and lets them loose on the driveway. They "paint" with the water. Super super simple and they like it.

MomandDad said...

I did the pinata with our kids when they were small. Matt probably doesn't remember but that would be because he wasn't born yet. We did it for Tracy's birthday. She was the one that broke the pinata and we have a picture of her sitting on the floor crying her eyes out because while she was breaking it and was blind folded everyone else got the candy. We did make them give her some.

Jespersen said...

I love that play dough recipe. My mom used it with us and I've used it for years! In fact - a little known fact about me is - I used to eat it! Gross. I know. Now I feel like going to make a batch. To play with, not eat! :)

Livvy said...

I can't believe u have this many art recipes! I have done the pinata before. except it wasnt for a pinata it was for a class project. It is REALLY REALLY ITCHY, buy fun. we made a jaguar in the 2nd grade. i am definately going to make the silly putty. I have a thing of it my self and it is awesome. I am going to try to do every single one of these things!
~Livvy