
Wow. Zero. Zero comments on our last post.
Wow. One. Jack is one year old today!
As an eleven month old Jack really seems to have become more aware of everything going on around him. He definitely understands things like milk, bye-bye, hug me, give me a kiss, come here, etc. No first word yet, but he does use the sign "more." It's rarely independent, but he'll do it when, if he wants more of something, I say, "More?". He basically just claps his hands together but he definitely knows what he's communicating. One time I was giving him just one piece of food and he just kept saying more and more and more and more. Then I said, "More?" and instead of signing more he shook his head no. I thought there was no way he was actually communicating "no", so I tried to give him one anyway, but he pushed it away. I think that counts as our first conversation, don't you? :) He's also signed milk a couple of times but he's usually more frantic at times he wants milk and gets mad when I try to get him to sign first.
What he SHOULD be saying (or signing) is Mama! I've only heard him even say the "ma" sound once. I was in the bathroom and he was crying, walking around looking for me. In his cries I heard him say, "Ma ma." But, I'm not counting it as his first word or anything. It's like the time when Aunt Julie and Aunt Sharon are positive they heard him say "baby" clear as day when he saw his baby cousin Leah. I'll give him his first word when he actually communicates something and can replicate it. But I'm off course. What I mean, is, he LOVES me. He likes Matt and all, but he NEEDS his mama. He'll be having fun with Matt and Jane but as soon as I walk in the room he starts crying and heading for me. Or one time Matt was holding him in class at church and I walked in the back a few minutes later. He saw me over Matt's shoulder and started frantically, loudly panting with his arms out until I got there to hold him. I love it. So much. And he hugs me all the time. He'll lay his head on me when I'm holding him and Matt says he never does that with him. Or if I'm laying on the floor, he'll walk over and bend down to "hug me" which consists of him laying his top half on me. Man, it's a heart-melter for sure.
He likes to melt other peoples hearts too. Everyone aww's at him at church when a song starts and he starts swaying back and forth. He'll do that with the littlest bit of music. He also does the cutest thing when other people smile at him. He doesn't do it all the time, but sometimes when I or someone else looks at him and smiles, he'll lean his head over and give a shy little smile. But he doesn't just cock his head to one side, he actually needs to lean it onto something. So if I'm holding him it will be my shoulder. Or if he's standing up by a chair he'll use the chair. But sometimes the only thing nearby will be a pretty far bend for his head, but he'll still do it. Like in his high chair. He bends his head all the way down to touch the tray.
Are you getting the picture? I think he's adorable!
So far I have viewed him as really laid back and easy going. But this past month has given me quite a scare! To say Jane is dramatic and emotional is an understatement. To say Jane is CRAZY about things being done in a particular way, or doing things perfectly herself is an understatement. I love Jane dearly, but everyday requires more patience than I have. I will have to illustrate this some day by walking you through what a day in our house is like. But what I'm saying is, I was so relieved to think that Jack would be my go-with-the-flow boy. So I wasn't very happy this month to see "baby rage" displayed in full force. We came up with the term "baby rage" when Jane was a baby and would get SO mad about things she couldn't do, etc. And Jack has been getting so upset when he can't have something, Jane takes something, he can't open something, or he keeps pushing a push toy into the wall for example. At the beginning of the month it was constant. We had to hide all sorts of stuff that frustrated him. But this past week has been much better. I'm not sure if he's just gotten better at the stuff he was trying to do or if that baby rage was just a quick phase, but I sure hope my little guy stays a little (or a lot) more mellow than his sister!
And in true bloggy blog fashion, I just have to write my sweet boy a letter all of his own.
Dear Jack,
In some ways I can't believe you are already one year old today. In other ways I can't believe you haven't been in my life forever. I was already a mom when I had you, but I wasn't yet YOUR mom. And that is a role I cherish. I feel so lucky to have you forever in my life. You are so special to me. It's funny to think that I wasn't excited to hear I was having a boy. Now I could not be more proud of having a son. You have spent most of the past two months just walking around the house. I hope I don't forget the sound of your little baby steps and the way my heart felt when I'd hear you coming into the room I was in. I can't help but smile at you and I always get a sweet smile in return. I loved laying down with you at the end of every day and putting you to bed. And I loved getting you out of your crib and having you lay your head on me for a second before you were off and running again. I didn't have the time to dote on your every move as much as I did your sister. But I have loved you with all my heart. I thank Heavenly Father each night for the blessing of having you in my life. I hope I can be the mother that you need. And I hope I'll be ready to learn all the lessons you'll teach me. I'm looking forward to growing with you.
Love,
Mom
7 comments:
Jack is adorable. It was so fun to have him here the other day! Little boys are so much fun. I hope you've had a great family day together celebrating your little guy!
Your kids are cute. I might have left a comment on the Jane post, but you just posted it. There wasn't time before you did the Jack post. I've decided that blog posts are like the crab pots on Deadliest Catch. You've got to let them soak for awhile.
Cute cute cute. I am a fan. I don't think it's just a baby thing, but I see a few resemblances between Jack and Jake's developing personalities. They should be friends. Can't wait to see pictures of the party.
Happy Birthday Jack, what a sweet little guy!
I love that collage of pics. He is just too cute. Love that sweet little boy, I wish I got to spend time with him.
His party was fabulous Ella!! And I love the collage of all his pictures! So cute!
HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY JACK! He is so awesome and I wish we new Jane better. Her and Ainsley would be a match made in Heaven!
Post a Comment