September 13, 2009

Postpartum Mood Swings and Jack turns 3 months


Well, I just asked Matt to proof my blog post. He said, "The beginning is kind of heavy. It sounds suicidal." So I've toned it down a bit, but I can assure you that I'm not suicidal. Here's what survived the cut:

I was in the elevator at my pediatrician's office building. A middle aged woman was in the elevator with me and asked how old Jack was. After hearing he was two months old she replied, "Oh so things are finally starting to get back to normal then." I just smiled. Inside I was thinking, "If by normal you mean not sleeping, trying to nurse a bawling baby, and never getting anything accopmlished, then yes, things are back to normal."

According to my babycenter.com email, 90% of 3-month-olds are sleeping through the night. But wait, if you read the fine print sleeping from 7pm to 1am is considered sleeping through the night because it's a 6 hour stretch. Thanks, but no thanks. But I do have a new strategy to deal with the sleep issue. If I don't pay attention to how many total hours of sleep I'm getting (or not getting), I actually feel okay. And that's what matters, isn't it?

But yes, this post-title mentions mood swings. So although I have my moments of feeling like I want to run from the house screaming and not come back for days, I also have my moments where I want to just inhale my little Jack because he is so darn cute. And even though I have days where I feel like all I can manage to accomplish is keeping my kids fed (showering, getting dressed and dressing my kids are all lofty goals) by night time I usually have tender feelings of motherhood and gratitude for two wonderful children being in our family.

Well, now that I've got that off my chest I must admit that on paper things aren't THAT bad. He sleeps WAY better than Jane did and cries FAR less. And the bawling while nursing thing was largely improved with some reflux medicine. So, although you'll probably never hear me say this first year, "He's growing up way too fast," or "I wish he could stay a baby forever," I am managing to enjoy my baby's first few months of life.

But let's move on to the up-side of the mood swings: My darling, sweet, precious baby Jack. I really do love him so much. I can't stop kissing him ever. He is finally getting old enough that he "likes" things. He loves it when I sing the wheels on the bus while doing the actions with his feet and legs. And he likes it when Dad shakes his leg and says, "Nice to meet you." Those guarantee big grins. He also likes soft things like play-silks and his lion from Aunt Gaylene. And he's most content in his vibrating cow chair. And he seems to really enjoy his baths, but I would be ashamed to admit how sporadically he gets them.

This month he has started grabbing some objects and rolling over from his tummy to his back. Why are babies so much better at that when they're naked? And on labor day he even giggled several times for Daddy! I was so excited, but a little jealous that I haven't achieved that same result yet. He weighs right around 12 pounds now and is just starting to fit into some 3-6 month onesies, although the 0-3 month pants still require some pinning around the waist to make them wearable. Like these cute little shorts:




Happy 3 Months, Jack! You are definitely worth every little sacrifice!

8 comments:

Jenni said...

Jane's hair looks awesome in the lion picture. That might be the tamest I've seen it. Or maybe it just looks really tame next to the lion.

The Griner Family: said...

Hang in there! You look great and your kids are adorable!

MomandDad said...

Jack is so adorable. I was just thinking when do we get to see more pictures of Jack. Just don't plan on getting any thing done in the first year and then if you do manage to get something done it'll be a bonus. You do have adorable kids. Can't wait to see them.

Cathy said...

Oh, I love the big boy clothes. He's too cute. I'm still struggling with the sleeping through the night thing...and Cate is almost 15 months. And showers are so over-rated.

Clair said...

HE's so stinking cute! Sorry about the mood swings.

Megan said...

OH he's soooo adorable!!! And I'm definitely looking forward to all of those wonderful "challenges" that you talked about. It was hard with one, and now I"m trying to imagine doing it again, but with another kid to have to take care of at the same time. At this point I'm so sick of feet in my ribs and not being able to breathe and having to pee every five minutes that I say, "BRING IT ON!!"

Sharon said...

Best of luck with sleep. At least you think he's adorable and want to kiss him. Haven't quite reached that stage with Max yet.

Kate said...

Yeah let's hang in there. I talked to a girl at a ward party that has a baby the same age as jake, and I came away from that conversation feeling unjustly sleep deprived. Her baby sleeps 10 hour stretches every single night, and that's from something ridiculous like 10:00 to 8. sheesh. And last night Kyle prayed that I would have a good night's sleep, which got my hopes up. Jake was awake 3 times, could have been worse, right? :) oh well. Anyway, good job on the cute kids, maybe we can sleep when we're 60.