July 26, 2015

Pioneer Day

Pioneer Day growing up was not really my thing--go to a church party, wear a bonnet, churn some butter.  But Pioneer Day in Utah is a blast.  It is pretty much just a Fourth of July II.  People get the day off of work, have get-togethers, BBQ's and set off fireworks.  This year's Pioneer Day was a blast.  We went to Sharon's house at 1:00 and got to stay until 10:00.  I got into their pool for the first time and all of the kids had a blast swimming all day.  We failed to reapply sunscreen so they aren't too happy about  the face and shoulder burns, but other than that the day was a success.  Lots of Matt's family was there and we had some great BBQ and great fireworks.  We even got to hang out with Matt's family the next day for some more BBQing and an evening swim.

I finally transferred all of my phone pictures and videos to my computer so I would have more memory space on my phone.  A few days later my computer crashed and won't turn on.  Matt has tried everything he knows and so far nothing has worked.  I am pretty bummed about it but glad I have at least been keeping this blog and putting on some pics and videos.

A few weeks ago when I had been gone quite a bit, Jack met me at my car as I pulled up from work.  He ran to hug me and with a shaky, sad voice he said, "Can I please be with you?  I have barely seen you.  I've hardly been spending my life with you."  Cue all the emotions.

Jane and Jack took swimming lessons this week from Maddie.  They did amazing.  I could not believe it when I saw them swim on Friday. Last year we had to bribe Jack just to dunk his head under the water in the bath tub.  But this year he can actually swim a few yards with his head down and ice-cream scoop arms.  He loves to bob under the water and blow bubbles from his nose instead of pinching it closed.  He's really good at holding his breath, which made me nervous several times as I watched him because it would get to the point that I would think-- is he still ok down there?  The most amazing thing was when he climbed up Sharon's pergola and jumped off several times.  He was wearing his water wings, but I couldn't believe he had the guts to do it!

Jane amazed me with her side breathing and diving from the side of the pool. Last year she could swim several yards in water where she could touch but now she is swimming all around the deep end where ever she wants to go.

After meeting with a rheumatologist we are continuing to monitor Pete's symptoms that include periodic episodes of mouth sores, with an occasional added fever and red eyes.  It may be some sort of systemic autoinflammatory disease, but we'll have to wait and see.

Hank is still a doll.  He loves puzzles and has been earning them for doing the entire potty process by himself--it has really cut down on the whining about washing his hands.  He just brought Matt Jack's allergy meds and said, "I have allergies.  See?  It's right there," and pointed to his forearm.  He loves meds and is always trying to convince me he needs them.


2 comments:

MomandDad said...

so sorry about the pictures. Hope you'll be able to recover them. Your family is so cute. Love your blogs. We will continue to remember Pete in our prayers. So glad the kids are doing so well at swimming.










debra said...

I'm so sad about your pictures. That's pretty devastating. Hopefully, you can get them off the hard drive even if the computer's a loss.