July 13, 2015

Pete hums

Pete still isn't talking very much.  He has a few words that he uses once every few days. :) Well, from what I hear, he's been saying "DAA!" quite a bit when calling for Matt.  I would love for his language to develop, but I do feel good about his other communication skills like joint attention, gaze following, pointing, eye contact, etc.  Anyway, the past couple weeks he has started humming.  It's always the same tune--three notes, repeated.  It goes high-low-medium.  :)

Jane has been playing with her cousin Leah's American Girl dolls at Leah's house.  Then we happened to get a magazine in the mail and Jane became absolutely obsessed with the idea of getting one.  Obsessed.  She's been counting her money and planning for her American Girl future.  I told her about Target's knock-off line and she spent days on the computer looking at dolls.  As soon as I would come home she would beg me to take her to Target, (yes, Jane is no fool, she knows she would rather spend $25 on a doll that looks the same as the original).  We finally went but I told her she couldn't open the doll for a few days to really decide if she wanted it.  A few days have gone by and I think she might be changing her mind!  It's so funny how kids work.  Jane is concerned that if she doesn't have enough money to buy another doll and accessories than if a friend comes over they won't be able to play.  So, the doll may be going back to the store for awhile.  We'll see. :)

Hank went into a bathroom at church that he hadn't been in before.  He walked in and gasped and said, "I yuve it!"  Later we were in American Fork canyon and Matt took Hank to use a port-a-potty.  Hank declared, "I hate it!"

Hank has been complaining of his cheek and tongue hurting.  We checked around and didn't notice anything but one night I was brushing his teeth and it really started hurting him.  I asked him if his tooth hurt and he said yes and pointed directly to one tooth.  Oh boy.  We have yet to deal with a cavity yet so I was not looking forward to this.  The next day Hank went with me to take Pete to the doctor.  Hank kept thinking it was for his tooth.  While driving there I told Siri to navigate to the doctor's office.  Hank told me to tell Siri that his tooth hurt.  That night though, I pulled his cheek out farther and saw that it was actually a canker sore that was causing the pain.  He's all better now and I'm so relieved we can put off any long dentist shots for awhile longer.

Matt had just gotten Hank out of the bathroom, and usually Hank will stand in front of one of us, backwards, while we hold up the towel and then wrap it around him.  This time he stood with his back in front of Matt, grabbed both sides of Matt's shorts thinking it was the towel, and tried to wrap them around himself.

Hank went to his speech appointment.  Sharon was very excited for us by the idea that Hank could get free preschool.  But, it turns out, Hank's speech pronunciation is within normal range for three year olds.  He is hard to understand but the sound mistakes he makes are ones that most kids are able to outgrow fairly shortly.  So if things haven't improved in about 9 months, then we will see about getting him some help.  I hope everyone can learn to understand him at preschool in August!

 Matt mentioned how hard it can be on days that Pete is especially grumpy but that when Pete hugs him really tight and lays his head on his shoulder as Matt sings his songs before nap and bed that it makes everything better.  And I was like, "Hold up.  What do you mean?  How do you put him to bed?!"  Turns out I've been having Pete hold all four of his stuffed animals while I awkwardly try to then hold Pete (and all four animals) cradled like a baby, while Matt just leaves the animals in the crib and holds Pete vertically while Pete hugs his neck and lays his head on his shoulder.  I was very excited to give Matt's way a try, and I agree, that moment makes it all worth it!!

2 comments:

Julie Sparks said...

I love your blogs!

MomandDad said...

Your kids are so adorable. Love your blog.