February 2, 2015

Hank's birthday, some other things, but mostly Hank

Today was a fun week. We celebrated Hank's birthday with our family on Monday, his real birthday.  He woke up to streamers and a birthday sign.  He didn't quite seem to know what to make of it.  I surprised him with a trip to Farm Country at Thanksgiving Point after picking up Jane and Jack from school.  This trip was much more successful.  No muddy pants and no pee-pee pants.  It was fun to see Hank there because he had never (at least to his memory) seen these farm animals before.  He had a great time.  He even rode a pony.  Afterwards he picked to go to the ice cream store and all the kids got ice cream cones.  Then we went home and had his pick for dinner--mac and cheese, strawberries, and milk.







Hank got a couple of small toys that day and Jack started throwing a bit of a fit because he really wanted to play with them.  I was trying to explain to Jack that it was his birthday and I wasn't going to make him share yet.  Then Hank came over with a smile and gave Jack his toy.   Hank is seriously the nicest kid.  He always says thank you and please and he's always sharing with everyone.  Matt and I always talk about how we hope we won't mess him up.  Anyway, when he shared with Jack I said, "Oh Hank, that is so nice!  That is just what Jesus would have done."  Then Jack chimed in, (happy now because he has the toy) and said, "You are an angel with Jesus in your heart."  Hank got kind of upset (because remember he doesn't like to be called anything but Hank) and said, "I not Jesus!  I Hank!"

Oh, the sweetest part of his birthday was every time one of us, or someone else would tell him, "Happy Birthday" he would politely repeat back to them, "Happy Birthday" like it was a Christmas greeting or something.  It was adorable.  When we sang to him after dinner and had cupcakes Matt sang, "For he's a jolly good fellow...." and Hank said, "I not good fellow!"



I heard Jack in the back of the car signing The Wise Man and The Foolish Man.  Only he thought it went like, "The rain came down and the flowers came up."

Pete still isn't talking.  I really wanted another talker, but I'm thinking he's going the Hank route.  But he did go around one day with a comb trying to fix people's hair.  And he always puts phones up to his ear.  He's cute.  He's still mega fussy, but still cute.

The last couple of months Hank has been trying out new ways to show his anger.  We are so in love with him that we just think it's pretty cute.  But he has an insane growl/roar.  He tries to do it so loud that it really just comes out kind of quiet if you know what I mean.  And he stomps one foot very dramatically.  Lately though he's been adding, "I so mad!"

Did I ever write about his obsession with H's?  It started in the summer.  He learned what an H looked like and he loved finding them everywhere.  When he would see one he would say, "H! Huh, Huh, Hank!"  So one time we were in Costco and he saw the big sign, FRESH PRODUCE and he yelled, "H! Huh, Huh, Hank!"

Today, Sunday, we went to Sharon's house and celebrated Hank's, Julie's, and Becca's birthdays, and also the Super Bowl. He seems to get the idea of birthdays now.  While at Sharon's he was getting impatient and wanted to get to the cake and presents and said, "Sing to me!  Sing to me!"  Hank had picked out a Thor cake that looked like mud with a big toy Thor hammer sticking out of it.  I ordered a hammer from Amazon and when it came it was HUGE.  There was no way I could balance it on a cake.  So I went with cupcakes with Thor cupcake toppers.  Hank kept asking, "Where's my Thor hammer?"  So at his party he was pretty happy to open his present that was a Thor costume and a Thor hammer.  He ran around with it all night.  And then when we went home and finally told him it was time to take it off and get his pj's on, he took his clothes off and said, "I naked Thor."  He pronounces it, "Bor".  Adorable.

picking at the frosting

3 comments:

MomandDad said...

Oh so cute. What a really neat little guy. Thank you so much for posting. I love reading about what is happening in your lives. Great post. Love the pictures.

Scandinavian Mom said...

Hi! I've been (secretly) following your blog for years. At first (when Jane was little) because I loved your ideas about things to do with your kids, like the farm animal theme etc. Then I just kept on reading, because I love the way you write, it allways make me smile. I'm so happy that you're blogging again and just wanted to say Hi. Hi!

Ella said...

Hi Scandinavian Mom! That's so nice of you to say hi! I write for the grandparents these days it seems, so it was a fun surprise to hear someone, anyone, was reading it! Hahaha!