November 7, 2010

A Double Dose of Jane

Jane is a big girl.

Here are some quotes we jotted down that Jane said over the past 2 months. Enjoy.

Jane is always singing a made up song. One day her song was especially "pretty" with a high falsetto and an extravagant melody but the only words were "Heart of me. Heart of me." I asked her what song she was singing and she said, "I just made it up because I love to sing love-songs."

Jane was pretending to be a girl superhero, but then she got hurt. She said, "Girl superhero is crying." Matt said, "I know, I'm sorry girl superhero." She said sadly, "Just say Jane."

Jane has been exploring the world of imaginary friends lately. No one has yet to stick around consistently though. Sometimes it's just "my girls" that she tells me about. Then there was a friend name Louie for a few days. One day I heard a lot of commotion and yelling in the bathroom. Jane walked out and announced that Louie was sad because she wasn't letting him be the prince because dad is the prince. Another day she said, "Louie is like Jesus." I asked, "How come?" She answered, "He is sad when I am mean."

I think I'm in for a real treat when Jane is a teenager. Her poor little emotions are already so strong. One night I put her to bed but she called for me to come back in. She seemed very sad and said, "I feel sad because I love everyone so much." I explained, "You don't need to feel sad, that's a happy thing." She said, "But I'm sad because my heart just loves." She let me leave. A couple minutes later she was crying again. Matt went in and I heard her bawling about how much she loves us.

Another time I tried to talk with her about how a friend of hers at church had told Jane she wanted to sit by her. She said it to Jane a couple times but Jane was too busy roaming the room and not doing what she was supposed to be doing to notice her friend's request. When she did sit down it wasn't by her friend. Her friend seemed a little sad. So a few days later I told Jane what had happened and wanted to remind her to be nice to her friends. But after I explained what happened Jane got upset and very dramatically exclaimed, "I HATE myself for doing that!" I tried to back peddle but she kept saying, "No, I am so mad at myself!"

And then she had very mixed feelings about turning four. She went between being excited for her party and crying because she didn't want to get big. She said she always wants to be a kid and always wants to live with us. She'd just start crying out of the blue and when I'd ask her what was wrong she would just cry, "I just want to be a kid!"

Another reason I might have my hands full in ten years? Jane likes to say to me, "You are so ridiculous." I welcome it, considering some of the other things I've gotten are, "I don't want you in this family." and "If I had another mom she would always be nice to me."

I must have been on my best behavior one day though because Jane came up with the question, "Who's the best nicest? Jesus or Mom?

You know how sometimes you look at your kids and think, "Man, their cute." Well, I think Jane has those same kinds of moments with Jack. She'll just say out of the blue, "Oh, Jack is so cute." One day she said, "Jack is so super cute. Let me see his face so super close and he'll be so cute." Then she went and put her forehead against his and looked at him.

Do you remember this picture?

Well, Jane saw it and I told her that that was when she was a baby in a tummy. She pointed to my belly button and said, "Oh, I have a pacifier."

Jane drew her first picture of a duck. She came to me and said, "Look, I drew a duck." She looked at it again and said, "Actually it's someone wearing a duck costume."

One day Jane asked me a question. My answer was, "I don't know." Jane said, "Well how old are you?" I said, "28." She said, "Then you should know."

Jane asked me, "Do superhero's pick their noses?"

It snowed towards the end of October. Then it got a little bit warmer and we were outside looking at the leaves that still hadn't fallen off the trees. Jane said, "It's almost fall again." I explained, "It's still fall. It's been fall." She said, "But it was winter."

Jane came to me, pointing to the gap in between her two front teeth and said, "I'm missing a tooth."

As you know, Jane got a case of the throw-ups before Halloween. But the week before that she had a slight cold. And I knew some friends of ours had been sick so anytime Jane said she wasn't feeling well I would say, "Do you feel like you're going to throw up?!" One night Jane woke up a few times. One of those times she woke me up and pointed to her mouth. I bolted to the bathroom with her. She spit into the toilet a few times. I don't know if she actually even spit anything out. It was just little spitting noises. She laid her head on me and oh-so-dramatically said, "I hate throwing up." I said, "You're not throwing up, Jane." She asked, "Well, what is throwing up?" I said, "You'll just know when you do."

A couple of months ago Jane acted out a very bizarre scene with her stuffed animals. It went like this: A big cat chases down a baby pig in a violent manner and eats her. The mommy pig walks up on the carnage and sends a big pelican bird to go kill the cat. I had never seen her pretend so violently!

These pictures are from several months ago. But our late bloomer finally started riding a tricycle really well this summer.
And she thinks that the Heisman trophy is for tricycle riding.

This is from when Jane spent 10 minutes outside belting a made-up song.
And then we got a glimpse of what Jane will look like if she goes the indy/emo route as a teenager.

5 comments:

Clair said...

Jane is so awesome!!!

bakerfam said...

I love that girl. She is good cheap entertainment. Why can't we live closer and really know each other's kids?

The Griner Family: said...

WE LOVE JANE!

Sharon said...

I thought maybe the chaos of our house got to Jane last night because she asked me, "Sharon, why do you have so many kids?" I replied, "I don't know, they just came to me." She said, "Oh." She seemed a little perturbed about the noise level so I asked, "Do you wish you had a lot of kids in your family?" She squealed, "Oh yes, that would be so fun."

Megan said...

That picture she drew of someone in a duck costume is actually very good! :)